• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Artificial Intelligence

Free episodes:

quantum

Paranormal Novice
Here's a short but I feel a very important point about AI.I have never heard anyone say that to make a AI system truly human we must factor in hormones. If you look at us hormones change and influence how we act everyday but yet it has not had a mention in a AI system. So I am doing that here.But how you would do that is for others to expand on.

Development, axonal patterning, and guidance[edit]
How do axons and dendrites form during development? How do axons know where to target and how to reach these targets? How do neurons migrate to the proper position in the central and peripheral systems? How do synapses form? We know from molecular biology that distinct parts of the nervous system release distinct chemical cues, from growth factors to hormones that modulate and influence the growth and development of functional connections between neurons.

In an SI they may simply not be necessary or even desirable.

If the growth and development of neuronal connectivity is managed in a non biological substrate, they may not be needed.
If they cause instability in regards to behavior, they may not even be desirable in a synthetic conciousness

In the field of artificial intelligence there has been a considerable interest towards consciousness. Marvin Minsky was one of the first to point out that “some machines are already potentially more conscious than are people, and that further enhancements would be relatively easy to make.
Consciousness and Artificial Intelligence

I agree Mike not desirable in a synthetic consciousness if you don't want it to be human like, also may I dare to say that if such a thing as hormones could be factored into a AI system then the chances for greater evolution would be possible.

The internet is a new lifeform that shows the first signs of intelligence. So says brain scientist and serial entrepreneur Jeff Stibel.
He argues that the physical wiring of the internet is much like a rudimentary brain and some of the actions and interactions that take place on it are similar to the processes that we see in the brain.
At the same time, he says, it is forcing us as humans to interact and think in new and different ways.
But, he tells BBC Future, this is just the beginning. The internet is only going to become more and more intelligent, changing humans and society in ways which we are not yet able to understand.

BBC - Future - Will the internet become conscious?

Global Brain - The Internet could become conscious by mid-2030s

Mike maybe the internet is manmade physical appearance of the quantum field. Where everything is entangled. I guess the brain could also be seen in that way.

Mike a little more thought on the idea of the internet being some sort of brain. What would be sleep? Or dreams? That is critical for life on earth. If there are signs of the internet doing sleep or dreams if we could identify such a thing then maybe it will happen.

That is critical for life on earth

Its not you know, do bacteria dream ? do virus's, do sharks

UCLA’s Jerome Siegel published a review of the evidence in 2008. According to Siegel, we may be wrong to assume that there is a “universal state of sleep” among all animals.

“The evidence that all animals have a state that meets the accepted definitions of sleep is quite poor,” he concluded.

Do all animals sleep? Center for Sleep Research

Back