• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Battlestar Galactica

Free episodes:

Robert Baird

Paranormal Maven
Battlestar Galactica is based on the myths of Lost Tribes of Israel and the Mormon faith. I suppose I do not have to point out the power such images and myths have had or that TV producers want to make money so they go with tried and true appeals to whatever worked - ignorant or otherwise. Machiavelli recommended it and called it "appeals to base human urges".

Israel's Lost Tribes

Battlestar Galactica is based on the myths of Lost Tribes of Israel and the Mormon faith. I suppose I do not have to point out the power such images and myths have had or that TV producers want to make money so they go with tried and true appeals to whatever worked - ignorant or otherwise. Machiavelli recommended it and called it "appeals to base human urges".

Israel's Lost Tribes
You wrote:

“Battlestar Galactica,” in essence, was Mormons in space.

Glen Larson, himself a Latter-day Saint, had infused his series mythology with too many Mormon references to ignore. His Twelve Colonies of Man were essentially the Lost Tribes of Israel whose history began at Kobol, an obvious anagram for Kolob, which, in Mormon theology, is the star nearest to the throne of God. The colonies were led by a "Quorum of 12," and marriages were referred to as “sealings” that extended beyond mortality and “through all the eternities.” The show never shied away from religious themes, and, at one point, the characters encounter a group of angels who paraphrase LDS Church President Lorenzo Snow.

“As you are, we once were,” the angels tell the Galactica crew. “As we are, you may become.”

Sound familiar? It certainly did to me.

I was thrilled to see Mormon themes woven into pop culture, but not everyone shared my enthusiasm. My mother thought it was a light-minded approach to sacred things, and I have to concede that time has provided some evidence for that point of view. Critics of my faith take Mormon precepts and present them with a Galactica-esque spin to make them sound kooky and bizarre. An anti-Mormon film in the 1980s sneeringly referred to the LDS concept of heaven as “Starbase Kolob,” and during the so-called “Mormon Moment,” I sensed “Galactica’s” influence in the media reports about Mormons “getting their own planet” after they die.

So if “Battlestar Galactica” is your only context for what Mormons believe, you can be forgiven for thinking that we Mormons are a whole lot less boring than we really are.

But I don’t think Larson’s intent was to mock things he held sacred. I think he was trying to make them accessible to a wider audience. Those kinds of themes were missing from 1970s television, and they’re still missing from much of television today. In a medium celebrated for its vapidity, Glen A. Larson dared to produce something profound.

He will be sorely missed.
========================

Curious, did other writers or "people in the know" say much about this elsewhere?

I watched some of the episodes, but I lost interest after awhile. Had I known it had some Mormon themes within the story, then I would have taken more interest in the series. I don't know much about the faith, though "family focus" and church participation seems to be a serious "requirement" to be a worthy member.

I certainly covered more and I covered what you are saying in that thread too. Maybe I covered it as you are saying it in another post on a different thread at W-M.

I don't think you will like what I have researched about Mormons including what went on at Nauvoo and a Rosicrucian who worked for me and her relationship as a Scarlet Woman for Ezra Taft Benson shortly before he became the head honcho. Mormonism was a lot like Scientology and started from the same Masonic book or guide which also was used to start Jehovah's Witnesses.

Mormons I have known are in general less hypocritical and more correct about history - not quite as good as Quakers but OK.

Do you want me to post an article called Spiritual Wifery?

Back