• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Explosion in Space Caught By Stargazer

Free episodes:

Now that we hear that he was tryring to sell it and was getting "offers" we'll probably see a bunch more people cropping up ( coincidentally or otherwise ) with things they've "never seen before" ( except possibly while processing it through their video FX studio ).

We can't jump to conclusions just because someone was trying to make a little money. If I thought I had captured something really unique on video or so, I wouldn't mind getting a little coin for it!
News stories are paid for every day and if you have something people wish to see and no-one else has it....why not.

You know, it looks a little like the original Deathstar explosion - from the '77 version?

That'as what I thought at first too. Someone had done another Star Wars FX insert ( I thought it was more like the explosion at Endor ). As an interesting aside:

In the novel X-Wing: Wedge's Gamble by author Michael A. Stackpole (1996), Wedge discovers an Imperial museum with stuffed Ewoks on display, along with a note that Ewoks and other creatures from the Forest Moon went extinct due to the Rebels' actions at Endor. This is loosely referred to elsewhere as the Endor Holocaust, caused by the second Death Star crashing into Endor after it blew up. Apparently however, Wookiepedia says The Endor Holocaust was only Imperial propaganda and that most of the damaged Death Star actually got sucked into a worm hole.

I think this has more of a chance of being legit than most vids posted on the internet because;
1. We know who the person's name who did the videoing.
2. We have an interview of him describing what happened.
3.We have a date, time, and place of where the vid was taken.
This isn't some anonymous thing thrown out into the internet like so many we see.
I think this vid has legs and needs serious investigating.

I don't really see the Deathstar so much, but hey "eye of the beholder".

We can't jump to conclusions just because someone was trying to make a little money. If I thought I had captured something really unique on video or so, I wouldn't mind getting a little coin for it! News stories are paid for every day and if you have something people wish to see and no-one else has it....why not.

I'm sure Ray Santilli wouldn't argue that point.

I used to do planetary imaging as a hobby. There are quite a few amateurs out there working at wide ranges of expertise, from advanced big $$ setups to people like this guy, who will catch whatever they can by trying to match a cellphone camera to the focal field of an eyepiece and a lot in between. I have seen a couple of weird looking orbital things captured by experienced amateurs who know their stuff.

What makes me suspicious of this guy's video is that he apparently doesn't even know what the bright object in the center of the frame is. Is it a planet? An out-of-focus moon? A street light? Most amateurs have at least a rudimentary knowledge of the night sky.

It's in my dark gray basket for now; not impossible but with too little background info.

I used to do planetary imaging as a hobby. There are quite a few amateurs out there working at wide ranges of expertise, from advanced big $$ setups to people like this guy, who will catch whatever they can by trying to match a cellphone camera to the focal field of an eyepiece and a lot in between. I have seen a couple of weird looking orbital things captured by experienced amateurs who know their stuff.

What makes me suspicious of this guy's video is that he apparently doesn't even know what the bright object in the center of the frame is. Is it a planet? An out-of-focus moon? A street light? Most amateurs have at least a rudimentary knowledge of the night sky.

It's in my dark gray basket for now; not impossible but with too little background info.

I've been an amateur astronomer for over 30 years and I have seen plenty of things in the sky I couldn't identify. This guy saw something he didn't recognize. It couldn't have been Venus, it's currently a morning object (even on Dec 20). Jupiter is 45-90 degreees above the eastern horizon depending on the time of night.
IF this guy knows his astronomy, then he most likely knew this object was not Venus or Jupiter.

If it is CG, then it's a damn good one.

Could it be one of those gigantic high altitude balloons that.....popped (for lack of a better word)?

Back