• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Gary McKinnon Case: Anyone Notice This?

Free episodes:

An interesting twist.
I guess the real question is had he had a trial and been found either guilty or not guilty, would he still be unable to travel outside the UK, without risk of extradition.

"Every other country that America has an extradition treaty with, that extradition warrant is still out there and still live. That basically means that Gary can't travel outside the UK for the rest of his life,"

While both the UK and the US have double jeopardy laws, there are exceptions

There have been exceptions to double jeopardy in the past, such as the retrial of officers involved in the 1991 Rodney King beating. This exception stems from the ability of different sovereignties to charge individuals for the same crime. Here, the officers were first acquitted by state court and subsequently charged and tried by federal court, which are different sovereignties.[59] The exception to this exception exists between city and state sovereignties located within the same state

Thus it could be argued that any sentence or aquital handed down in the UK, was of a different sovereignty, and does not preclude his arrest and trial in the US for the same crime.

Whilst i understand his problem with regards to no trial, ie that he cannot leave the UK for fear of arrest and extradition, that may have been the case anyway even if he had gone to trial and been aquitted or even sentenced.

Personally i think he should thank his lucky stars and enjoy the freedom he has

Back