• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

HEAVENS-ABOVE CBS?

Free episodes:

black sky watch

Skilled Investigator
I noted on another forum, yesterday, that Heavens Above had no Iridium Satellite flares on January 5, 6, and 7. One day later, they now have FIVE flares on those dates! How and Why would past listings change?? Why would Heavens change listings for dates almost 3 weeks ago? Seems like past flares would be set in stone.

Not only that, I looked at the listings last night, and saw there were 2 flares yesterday. That has been changed as well. The 2 are still there, but the date changed from the 23rd, to now 22nd!

You could look at the Iridium FAQ section from Heavens Above website. Alternatively, post a question on the Seesat mailing list, "which will be read by over 600 experienced and enthusiastic satellite observers around the world" some of whom will presumably provide you with an answer.

While you folks are at it I remember five years ago looking up an iridium satellite sighting and could find no reference for what i saw on that night or any verification of it for that month. I saw two iridiums fly in a locked paired orbit with one slightly ahead of the other - a stunning sight as they covered an enormous chunk of sky before fading into darkness. Are there many unknowns not part of the database? I asked at the time but got no answer.

While you folks are at it I remember five years ago looking up an iridium satellite sighting and could find no reference for what i saw on that night or any verification of it for that month. I saw two iridiums fly in a locked paired orbit with one slightly ahead of the other - a stunning sight as they covered an enormous chunk of sky before fading into darkness. Are there many unknowns not part of the database? I asked at the time but got no answer.

If you read their FAQ section it will clearly tell you why you got no response:

What types of e-mail are unacceptable?
The following message categories will NOT receive a reply.

Requests for identification of satellite sightings
These types of question are very time consuming, and we simply don't have time to answer them. You can use the buttons at the top of a predictions pages to generate predictions for dates in the past, and try to identify the object yourself. Alternatively, you can post a question to the Seesat mailing list, which will be read by over 600 experienced and enthusiastic satellite observers around the world.

If you read their FAQ section it will clearly tell you why you got no response:
I wasn't looking for ID of my sighting as I saw they were not in the business of fielding erroneous requests, and perhaps mine was, but I was interested in knowing how common hidden or undocumented objects were and what would a paired set of satellites be used for.

I wasn't looking for ID of my sighting as I saw they were not in the business of fielding erroneous requests, and perhaps mine was, but I was interested in knowing how common hidden or undocumented objects were and what would a paired set of satellites be used for.

A fair question. Probably one for the mailing list at:

SeeSat-L Home Page

A fair question. Probably one for the mailing list at:

SeeSat-L Home Page

Maybe their staff is so limited that updates are made every month or so. That would mean the information is up-to-date about one day out of the month.
As soon as I saw the discrepancies, I emailed the person responsible according to the site. Two business days later, no response.

Back