• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Is commercial TV capable of covering the science of UFOs?

Free episodes:

Christopher O'Brien

Back in the Saddle Aginn
Staff member
by Billy Cox/Herald Tribune
2-28-14
ARTICLE HERE:
Two years ago, as part of a daytime show whose ratings were so dreadful it was canned in 2013, Anderson Cooper’s “Do You Believe in Space Aliens?” discussion featured a MUFON investigator who had researched a 2008 UFO incident outside Philadelphia. A witness had observed the object showering nearby trees with glittering material.

Two labs reported the recovered samples contained boron and magnesium at levels that far exceeded those in the local environment. Additionally, the targeted leaves had generated a heat-resistent “sunscreen” called anthocyanin, which protects cells from high-light exposure by absorbing UV rays. Prosaic explanations? Probably. But instead of hashing it out with botanists, AC lurched away and careened into guests claiming to be star children.

Years earlier, the Discovery Channel recruited M.I.T. students to duplicate crop circles and some of their signature characteristics — geometric patterns, heat- induced expulsion cavities in grain-stem nodes, and linear-arrayed, 20-micron wide iron spheres in soil samples. The experiments were laughably cumbersome:
— pyrotechnics lighting up the night sky, microwave guns and a “meteorite cannon,” not exactly the most stealthy scenario in a phenomenon noted for stealth. The exercise wound up producing a mild echo of the real McCoy, but it failed to address yet another emerging feature unique to some crop circles
— magnesium carbonate, a fire retardant with an astonishing purity of 99.9999 percent. That’s laboratory-grade stuff. And that's interesting.

Likewise, Science Channel’s “Are We Alone?” Week beginning Sunday [3-2-14] devotes one segment to a 1971 UFO encounter that left behind quantifiably freaky soil samples. But it devotes maybe two sentences to the analysis before reverting to more predictable fare.

“As an investigator, I do appreciate eyewitness testimony,” says veteran UFO researcher Mark Rodeghier, “but that only takes you so far. Anecdotal reports are not good enough to figure out the mechanisms behind UFOs. Anything we can study is always valuable, and we don’t have great sightings that are evidential like trace cases. That’s why it would’ve been a lot better to focus on analysis more than eyewitnesses.”

De Void hates to keep pounding this dead hoss, but “we” ask the same question again and again: Is commercial television even capable of covering the science of UFOs? REST OF ARTICLE HERE:

To do a Sheldon Cooper impersonation "yes, they are. "
The real question is why dont they ?

I think part of the answer is in the OP question, that word commercial.

People watch TV to be entertained, and i think the internet only intrenched this meme.
The two examples have become even more polarised, TV is for entertainment you can switch off and just let that standup comedian make you laugh.
Sitcom is classic example, real life scenarios reduced to comedy ie entertainment.

The internet on the otherhand has become almost uncanny in its role for answering questions, providing data.

Commercial TV has never been, nor is ever likely (now that the internets fills that role) of being serious business.

Its a pity because it still has excellent market penetration, but theres that word commercial again, the masses dont turn it on for education (they have the internet for that if they want it) they turn it on for entertainment, and one of the unspoken rules is dont let facts get in the way of a good story.

Down here we dont yet have the supersaturation other countrys do, but of late we have about 3 channels of infomercials, blenders and exercise equipment, 20 min presentations of the wonders of the foreman grill.
The amount of air time they get in this house is precisely the amount of time it takes to recognise ive got one of these and hit the remote button again.

The advertisers know the punters are more interested in watching a re-run of MASH than they are a serious show on anything let alone UFO's.

I personally pity these masses, to me the UFO question is the most interesting of any topic ive ever looked at.

I cant think of anything more important, than the answers to the questions this topic raises

These are questions that have been important to me for as long as i can remember

There's no doubt that commercial TV could do a better job when it comes to UFO related programming. But it would take a company that has it's own adequate budget for lifelike, realistic, and accurate recreations, and a knowledgeable ufologist ( not a celebrity ufologist ) who has the authority to act as a nexus between the writers, researchers, director(s), special FX, and producers, in order to bring each case to life. Sadly, I suspect we'll just keep getting independently produced grade B filler instead. So far as the science is concerned, that's going to take some serious outside-the-box research that also includes some knowledgeable ufologist(s) and not merely wannabe alt-scientists trained inside the big box institutions. Real scientists are needed, but they shouldn't be the ones at the helm. Their roles should be as advisors, to do the math and to make sure that the experiments are constructed with adequate tolerances and materials to pull them off safely. The ones at the helm need to be visionaries with unconventional ideas that can be put to the test.

Last edited:
TV can with some struggle, cover science, but they can't DO science. Someone has to be doing the science, and science requires a lot of careful, unglamorous work. I think that with UFOs we are where 17th century scholars were with electromagnetism. They had no idea what the phenomena were or how they were related, and there was no generally accepted theory. Still, they made observations and started to discern patterns. Fast forward to the 19th Century, and the first complete, sophisticated theory came together. It took tremendous patience.

Years earlier, the Discovery Channel recruited M.I.T. students to duplicate crop circles and some of their signature characteristics — geometric patterns, heat- induced expulsion cavities in grain-stem nodes, and linear-arrayed, 20-micron wide iron spheres in soil samples. The experiments were laughably cumbersome:
— pyrotechnics lighting up the night sky, microwave guns and a “meteorite cannon,” not exactly the most stealthy scenario in a phenomenon noted for stealth. The exercise wound up producing a mild echo of the real McCoy, but it failed to address yet another emerging feature unique to some crop circles
— magnesium carbonate, a fire retardant with an astonishing purity of 99.9999 percent. That’s laboratory-grade stuff. And that's interesting.

LOL! Now that is funny. Discovery Channel payed some M.I.T. students to attempt to create crop circles that would have the properties allegedly found by the likes of Levengood, Nancy Talbot, and B.L.T. research! Had trouble did they? Imagine that. Cox even mentions the magnesium carbonate hoax of Robbert v/d Broeke as a sure sign of a "real" crop circle! What a joke! Who is this guy?

Neither television or The Herald Tribune can report on UFO "science" for painfully obvious reasons I would think.

Circles within circles yet again. Please pardon the pun.

Another type of circle comes to mind when I read the words "crop circle", but this is a family friendly forum.

I just think the lamentations of this person who wrote "And they deserve better than they're getting" are incredibly ironic considering he has fallen for the pseudo-science and wild claims of B.L.T. and their pet hoaxer. Garbage in garbage out.

Another type of circle comes to mind when I read the words "crop circle", but this is a family friendly forum.

I just think the lamentations of this person who wrote "And they deserve better than they're getting" are incredibly ironic considering he has fallen for the pseudo-science and wild claims of B.L.T. and their pet hoaxer. Garbage in garbage out.
Is this not the biggest problem with the field - all the short term memory problems? I like how this paranormal meme was referred to on the Paracast once regarding the one 'supposed' crash in the desert which everyone knew was a hoax originally. You can put a stake in its heart, but the Ufological Vampire just keeps coming back from the dead.

As PCarr points out above, they can't DO science, but they could present a lot of data in a sober, evenhanded way, maybe throw in some reasonable interpretations of said data by a few legitimate (however you want to define that), qualified (ibid.) folks, avoid giving the usual "personalities" yet another forum in which to weave their tales and peddle their B.S. and forgo the usual winking, "but we all know this is really a load of Zeta Reticulan rectal probe scrapings" attitude of thinly veiled irony...but hell, man, that sounds BORING...and, perhaps, although we may only sense it subconsciously, a little scary...let's round up the always-on-call UFO carnies and have us a sideshow! And don't forget to let this jackass weigh in:

r08l.jpg

By Jason McClellan
OpenMinds.tv
2-26-14
Once again, the Science Channel is reprising its popular extraterrestrial-themed Are We Alone? week.

As previous years have demonstrated, the Science Channel does an incredible job packing the first week of March with highly entertaining and provocative shows exploring UFOs and extraterrestrial life.

There's that word again "entertaining".

TV viewers expect to be entertained, where as i want solid data, information and even evidence, my interest in this genre is not for entertainment purposes.

Thus the entrenched nature of the TV format, is likely to remain unsuitable for serious discussions on the topic

And even if you were to try, the bulk of the viewers would sit there waiting for the punchline. A serious show on UFO's would leave most of them scratching their heads and saying "i dont get it"

I find this discussion really interesting. One thing that everybody keeps going back to though is that these shows are entertainment. Having watched all these shows over the years I feel like they not only fail to inform, they fail (miserably) to entertain. It's either clowns running around with night vision cameras in the desert or moronic talking heads repeating "what if..." so that they can avoid making actual statements. I'm honestly amazed that this topic gets on TV at all.

I find this discussion really interesting. One thing that everybody keeps going back to though is that these shows are entertainment. Having watched all these shows over the years I feel like they not only fail to inform, they fail (miserably) to entertain. It's either clowns running around with night vision cameras in the desert or moronic talking heads repeating "what if..." so that they can avoid making actual statements. I'm honestly amazed that this topic gets on TV at all.

I think you are right. It's part of why I wanted to kick off API Case Files. I feel there are plenty of people who hunger for hard information from the outer frontiers of science instead of woo woo entertainment. Of course, API Case Files is audio only and dirt cheap to produce, but if we had the funds and know-how we would do a proper TV show as well. The problem is that the serious quit-your-day-job funds are only going to come when someone rings the entertainment bell.

However, consider the Mythbusters. They have slowly built a large and enthusiastic audience. Their live shows sell out big auditoriums everywhere they go. They entertain, but they also educate and inspire. This is partly because Adam and Jamie are really talented, energetic and creative guys, but also because there was an audience waiting out there they only they could find. Another team that does this in a completely different arena are Penn and Teller.

So, dream about what kind of TV you would want to see. Let's talk it up. Maybe we'll hit on something. Maybe fiction instead of "reality." The X-Files, for example, did more to popularize the whole paranormal mythos than all the reality shows combined.

The 2008 UFO incident Chris mentioned above- happened about a mile from my home. I know the apartment complex well. One program, I think it was UFO hunters covered it well. Soon after, another program covered the story, I think it was called Alien encounters or something of the like. The incident was presented as a close encounter of the 2nd kind, as the witness claims she had multiple sightings of the same craft, and aside from the light particles being sprinkled on the tree, a beam of light targeted her while she stood on her patio. It could be that the first program Ufo Hunters left out the more dramatic claims and stuck to the "science" of exploring the tree in question.
A rather busy road, Route 13 runs north and south, sits above this apartment complex- not to mention the many neighbors, yet she was the only witness to several supposed sightings. One photo she had, was determined to be a full moon partially covered by a tree branch.
This was part of the Bucks County, Pa Flap- which included a lady who ran out of a department store in the Oxford Valley Mall claiming she saw a small grey standing near a clothes rack.

Back