• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Is NARCAP Down for the Count?

Free episodes:

Gene Steinberg

Forum Super Hero
Staff member
So after being alerted to the problem by a listener, I see that the organization's site, http://www.narcap.org, is no longer working. That means their vast collection of evidence isn't available either, unless it's duplicated (mirrored) on another site.

Anyone know what's up?

If they need assistance keeping their site online, we'd be happy to help.

Gene I con't know what it isbut I have been havng a hard time wit getting onto or posting a sites too bith yours and my own.
I am normally up too the wee hours of the morning or start online at 12:00 noon and have had the same problemsat all hours.
I have a DSL connction but it took me an hour to get online today.
Maybe it could be the same thing with them.
I just think it's our tax dollars at work again.

Well, a Web site is normally run by a third-party hosting service that has nothing to do with your ISP. Since NARCAP has been down for days, at least since I first heard of the problem, it may not be a question of some network issue at their host. It may be the site is truly offline, but I don't know if that's a permanent problem. I know that the site appears to be hosted by Yahoo! (we base that on the reported listing for their nameservers if you must know) and it doesn't seem Yahoo's hosting service has been down for any extended time period. But I wouldn't use Yahoo! in any case.

You should be contacting your Internet provider to address your specific issues.

Hmm maybe they were hacked like many websites were last week. There seemed to be a large scale cyber attack that happened. I will have to talk to Skinner and Ms.Scully about this it might be.

Other than that I have no clue Gene. I suggest attempting to remote view them or send in a spy.

The narcap domain is registered until well into Sept 2013, so that hasn't expired. But using dig or lookup just returns jack all. Absolutely nothing coming back atm. Wayback machine last took a look at the front page last July 2011. Even the google cache is bare which suggests that it's been missing for more than a few days.

bb

Well, a forum message earmarked for Ted Roe of NARCAP was bounced back to us. For a small or shared Web hosting system, email is usually on another server. I'm not sure what sort of setup they have/had.

Maybe it's just a glitch, I hope not hackers.
I contacted my ISP, and my site's web hosts we're still working on it,
I hope it's not hackers, but everything is on disc if it is.
Thanks for the heads up.

Well, Gene is providing us with a great place and 'battleground' here, I too saw that Cloudfare on sunday. Thank you still, Gene

Back