• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Maury Island Revisited

Free episodes:

storge

Paranormal Maven
I'd like to go over the case here, but without giving the full story, which is available elsewhere. This thread will assume basic knowledge of the story and will concentrate on details, historical circumstances and additions to the information provided in the two classic works, Kenneth Arnold's "Coming of the Saucers: A Documentary Report on Sky Objects" 1952, and Kenn Thomas's biography of Fred Crisman, which I think was renamed JFK UFO in its latest incarnation, published in the last several years by Feral Press if I'm not mistaken.

My only qualification for this sort of commentary is several years spent living in Tacoma and some time reading about the incident many years later.

Let's start with Chapter II "The Tacoma Affair" in Arnold's book. He starts out by saying no one knew of his plans to take Ray Palmer up on the latter's offer to pay all expenses for Arnold to fly out and interview Harold Dahl and Fred Crisman of Tacoma, Washington, following Arnold's famous sighting near Mt. Rainer. The offer was made following Arnold's celebrity, while the Crisman/Dahl event was alleged to have taken place 3 days before Arnold's sighting, June 21 and June 24, 1947, respectively.

On the way Arnold sees more flying saucers, but decides not to let it get out publicly. Let's consider that the first mystery in the Tacoma Affair, but let's leave it on the back-burner for now and get on with some textual analysis:

It was dusk when I landed at Barry's Airport which is a little airfield located down on the mud flats. I am sure that neither Barry nor his wife recognized me as the man whose picture had been in the newspapers connected with flying disk stories. I had Barry gas my airplane and tie it up for the night. I then proceeded to call all the hotels in town to see if I could get a room for the night. Barry's wife kept saying that getting a room in Tacoma was really difficult and that the housing shortage had been very acute there.

I don't know how many hotels and rooming houses I called, Finally, as a last resort and just for a lark, I called the Winthrop. I really didn't expect to find a room there as it was the largest and most prominent hotel in the city of Tacoma. It was sure to be full. I was quite shocked when I spoke to the room clerk and heard him say, "Yes, Mr. Arnold, we have a room and bath for you."

Barry's Airport was a small private airport. The mudflats are the industrial wasteland along Commencement Bay between Tacoma and Fife. If memory serves the Puyallup River (American settles pronounce it "Pugh!" as in an exclamation upon sensing a stench, + Al as in Al Bundy, Up with a sort of non-distinct schwa kinf of U; the Puallups and Lushootseed speakers say Poo-yall-up, as does almost everyone else in America who doesn't come from the NW) flows into the flats there somewhere.

Presumably there is plenty of flat ground down on the mudflats for landing planes. Why it was tied up for the night, I'm not sure, but it must have been moored against air currents rather than water currents.

The housing shortage in summer of 1947 was acute all along the west coast. Returning GIs needed places to stay, while during the war massive numbers of people were settled on the west coast to serve the defence industries. It's worth noting that Tacoma was a major player in America's defence industries during and after WWII. Tacoma and Seattle long fought for primacy of place as Washington state's first city and my impression is that that battle was still unsettled in 1947 (Spokane was never really in the running because of its landlocked location). Ship building, metals (including the all-important aluminium during WWII), chemicals, timber and paper were major industries in Tacoma.

For more on the housing shortage and returning GIs in 1947, see the film Somewhere in the Night, 1947.

In that film the man at the front desk of a hotel in LA I believe makes an exception for the star because he is a returning GI, saying hotels always have an extra room for contingencies that arise.

In this case, Tacoma wasn't just in the midst of the general housing shortage, but there were some conventions going on in town as well. The Grand Chapter of the State of Washington, Order of the Eastern Star, were wrapping up their convention in late June and early July, 1947, for one example. A delegation of Hawaiian businessmen descended upon Tacoma in early August, for another.

The hotel Arnold called above, the Winthrop, really was Tacoma's premier luxury hotel, from what I can tell. I don't think I've ever been there, but I've heard of the ballroom on the top floor mentioned by name by native Tacomans. The Winthrop was designed by the George Wellington Stoddard (1896 - 1967), apparently a native of Detroit. There seems to be some confusion with real estate financier George E. Stoddard (1917-2009) and esteemed luxury hotel architect William Lee Stoddart (1868–1940) as to who actually came up with the Winthrop, but I'll leave it at that for now as an unimportant detail in Arnold's narrative.

rjqmuh.jpg

The Winthrop in 1947, on Broadway in Tacoma. The cross-street is 9th and the view is looking to NNE. Ninth was theater row: the Roxy (later the Pantages) on the right side of the picture was showing Pursued with Robert Mitchum and Teresa Wright, filmed in Gallup, NM, ca. 1947. To the left, across Broadway and out of view were the Music Box theater and the Rialto (where I saw Indiana Jones ca. 1984). The Winthrop itself became a movie set when Tacoma's own film company H.C. Weaver Productions filmed the silent The Eyes of the Totem aka The Totem Pole Beggar there and elsewhere in 1926: "The face of the Hotel Winthrop was transformed one evening in March of 1926, becoming the infamous Chinese cabaret 'The Golden Dragon,' during the local filming of the silent movie 'Eyes of the Totem.' ... The man responsible for the transformation was Art Director Gaston Lance. In the script, the cabaret is also the location where innocent young girls are lured into a licentious lifestyle by owner and villain Tom Santschi and his paramour Violet Palmer."

(I believe at least in later years the boxoffice of the Roxy/Pantages faced onto 9th right across from the Winthrop.)

The Winthrop was named after Theodore Winthrop (1828 -1861), apparently the first Union officer to fall in the American War between the States and the author of The Canoe and the Saddle and Life in the Open Air, which both deal with Washington Territory, I believe. Winthrop is credited with being the first "white man" to put the name Tacoma into print.

Tacoma, you might have guessed, is an Indian word. It's actually a place name, but refers to the mountain, Mount Rainier, which any local Tacoman will tell you is really named Mt. Tahoma. Confused yet? This is immediately followed by the legend that the local Indians feared the mountain, and felt it was the abode of evil spirits, and should never be climbed under any circumstances, lest the spirits be angered and rain bad luck down upon you. It's also the name of a computer font, probably thanks to Microsoft, although I don't know the history of the Tahoma font. Tahoma and Tacoma are basically the same word. It might be interesting to note as well that, if memory serves, the Puyallup Indians with their reservation right next to the city of Tacoma were not originally Salish speakers. I think Vy Hilbert of the University of Washington explained this in one of her books on the Puget Sound Salishan language Lushootseed. They and a few tribes on the Olympic Peninsula (several of them long extinct) represented pockets of the aboriginal inhabitants prior to the Salishan invasion ca. AD 1000, swooping down from the Alberta plateaux. While most of the Puget Sound peoples have a demonym ending in -ish (Duwamish, Skykomish, Snohomish) the Puyallup have one ending in the schwa plus undifferentiated p/b, if memory serves.

So the Winthrop was all about Tacoma, and the initial thrust of its marketing was as a sort of gateway for tourists visiting the Northwest and especially Mt. Rainier, a luxurious safe harbour whence they could venture out into the great unknown and whither return to recuperate from same.

2wcnnnk.jpg

In Arnold's text above he wasn't expecting a room at the Winthrop. We don't know how exactly he inquired whether there was a room free for him, at which point he introduced his name into the telephone conversation, and so on. The point is no one was supposed to know he was travelling to Tacoma that day, and yet someone had booked a room for him there at the fanciest hotel in the middle of a general housing crisis and some conventions visiting the bustling metropolis that was Tacoma in 1947.

This first mystery in Tacoma proper becomes the subtext in later passages for Arnold discovering his room is apparently bugged, and not just bugged, but all information discussed in that room is being actively relayed in real time to the local press. Arnold later, many years later, will say that not only what was discussed in that hotel room was leaking to the media, but things left unsaid, thoughts were being leaked, by what agency and to what end, he could never determine.

Suffice it here for now to say that the Winthrop achieved a kind of first as being a hotel completely wired for telephones. Every room in the Winthrop had a telephone handset. The trunk line ran from the basement through all the floors to an operators' room hidden in a small inaccessible room on the roof. Of course Arnold didn't know where the wires all led back in 1947, but made extensive use of the telephone in his account. His expenses were being paid by Ray Palmer and in any event local calls should have been free, if I understood the tarriff structure in the NW in 1947 correctly. What he wouldn't have had was direct dialing: everything would have to go through the operator on the roof of the Winthrop and likely she would have called out to the telephone company's operator with a request, Mercyside 6667 or whatever the format was (two letters as a single word memnomic plus three or four numbers).

261gl69.jpg

The telephones installed in every room of the Winthrop, with two female operators in the center of the collection at their stations. Photo courtesy of the Tacoma News Tribune (5/16/1925) and the Tacoma Public Library. Please note: Fred Crisman, one of the main characters in the Maury Island Incident/Affair, was intimately involved with the Tacoma Public Library in his later years and I believe he even served as director for a time.

Maybe that's enough for now. We'll return to the Winthrop next time for further explorations.

Last edited:
We did revisit the case back in 2012, when my old friend Curt Sutherly dug into the case:

March 18, 2012 — Curt Sutherly

It wasn't a perfect presentation, but I continue to wonder whether there's any benefit to bring it up again. In any case, the deaths of Brown and Davidson are mentioned in Nick Redfern's new book about supposedly premature deaths in the UFO field, "Close Encounters of the Fatal Kind," the subject of the next episode of The Paracast.

OK, that's one (important) vote against. If I don't hear any votes for, I'll stop dead in my tracks, knock on wood.

BTW Gene Nick got it spectacularly wrong on C2C, almost every detail of Maury he mentioned was incorrect.

Maury Island is interesting for me in its connection to the beginning of the development of the mythos of ufology. More specific attention to the role of disinformation agents in this case, as a blueprint for the future, is needed to remind the UFO community that many of the cornerstones of ufology are in fact constructions. This needs to be understood on a fundamental level and it needs constant reminding.

I like the story, and it surely involved some interesting players. If nothing else, it's interesting to see how much power the hoax had, and to compare the facts to the legend of it crafted by Ray Palmer. Having some details about the background of the locations is helpful, too.

Edward Ruppelt said in "Report on UFOs" that it was one of the worst hoaxes ever, and he blamed Palmer ("the Chicago publisher") for some of what went wrong apparently. But not for that plane crash that took the lives of Brown and Davidson.

But certainly Palmer was just looking for a good story and little more.

Corrections to what I posted initially:

1) The format for telephone numbers in Tacoma in the summer of 1947 was two letters followed by four numbers, e.g., PRoctor 7116.
2) Barry's Airport was almost certainly Ben Barry's Sky Harbor Airport on what looks to me like the north side of Commencement Bay where it winds around into Puget Sound. Barry made a name for himself at another airport in Lakewood, formerly Lakeside, a suburb of Tacoma at this point and very closely associated with Tacoma even then. The Tacoma area had way too many airports in the 1930s and 1940s if you ask me, way out of proportion, but then it was a major industrial hub. Barry got a defence contract shortly before or during the war to train young women to fly planes, and his Lakewood company, his flight school, was fairly well known in the region.

25ixctl.jpg

Sky Harbor Airport/Airstrip

To me, this doesn't count as being on the mudflats or tidal flats, although it does look like the photograph was taken at high tide, so it's difficult to say for certain. It presents a logistical difficulty with Arnold's story: in order to get from where I think Sky Harbor was to the WInthrop in downtown Tacoma, he'd either have to travel around the bay through Fife and into Tacoma, or he'd have to take a boat or ferry across. Not that either of these are real obstacles, but I don't remember him mentioning this in his text.

On Curt Sutherly's interview, I thought it was a good impressionistic retelling of the general features of the story, but he got so many details flat wrong I had to wonder if he actually read Arnold's book again in the last 10 years or was just going from memory. Gene's questions were also in the vein of "leading the witness" had this been a courtroom, which it certainly wasn't. He got many details and facts incorrect, and then engaged in rank speculation with Gene and Chris about the real meaning of it all. The worst mistake was probably where he agreed with Gene that Palmer had written most of Coming of the Saucers. Even a cursory reading reveals two very different styles at work in the book, and it is easy to tell which is Palmer and which is Arnold. Palmer gets the name of the hotel wrong in his passage, calls it the Windsor or something. Most of the text was written by Arnold and it was touched up for grammar and spelling by Palmer, who threw some of his own chapters, one or two, into the mix, and sent it on to the linotyper or whomever to rush it out to market. I really think Palmer let stand Arnold's own narrative to stand or fall on its merits, and it's a great story if nothing else.

Chris in this episode also mentioned Maury was the subject of the first UFO Hunters tv program. I'd never watche dit before but looked up that episode and was appalled, not just by Bill Birns's usually obnoxiousness and idiocy, not just by the usual shaky cameras and artificial drama, but by how stupid the rest of the crew was. They failed to note the beach on Maury they were combing was artificial and the result of gravel fill, and recent gravel fill, for one thing. I had to turn the sound off and just watch it for the scenery it was so bad. Talk about your rank speculation, jeez Louise, Bill decides the B-25 crashed because the UFO slag went critical and then looks for evidence to support his theory/wishful thinking. Ancient corroded aluminum confirms it for him, the oxydation wasn't due to being left in the woods for 50 years, it was a byproduct of ferocious heat! And all their maps were screwy: they put Tacoma in the wrong place, then they had the two military intel/co-intel agents flying directly from Maury to crash in Kelso. Wrong, all wrong. No wonder UFO magazine went the way of the dinosaurs, he drove it into the ground with this sort of crap. They didn't even bother to dat ethe aluminum, which is possible, because there was an older smelting process used during the war years involving kryolite I think it is. You can measure the amounts of trace minerals and determine its approximate date of smelting, at least you can say, this was smelted and fabricated before the modern method came into use in 195x or whenever it was.

In the interest of full disclosure, I have been speculating and getting facts wrong about Maury for a few years now, and finally have a bit of a handle on the basic narrative at least, which is somewhat complex. It's my conclusion, my considered opinion at this point, that Maury should be treated as a fairy tale. Which doesn't mean it's a hoax. It just means the story involves fairies.

I also think the story should be treated as the basic prototype of much of what was to come later, a sort of archetype of the "modern UFO" myth. To dismiss it out of hand as a hoax or a military psy-op doesn't do it justice in my opinion. There were some real mysteries involved. Mysterious events, but not completely unsusceptible to explanation.

I'll consider the two posts by Burnt State and Sentry as votes of interest, with qualifications. My only interest is to elucidate the circumstances surrounding the story and to correct any errors that might have crept into the retellings, and NOT to vindicate it as real or to dismiss it as a hoax. As I said, my own sense is that it is semi-real.

Chris brought up in the Curt interview that Kenn Thomas might have thought there was a connection with hunting for looted Japanese gold stashed in the Philippines. I don't remember that but will try to look it up in the newer edition of the book. It might be a coincidence, but there was a large sum of money that disappeared from a railroad warehouse on Commencement Bay when a landslide carried it into the water, and part of the warehouse washed up on Maury Island, but the safe full of money was never found:

Late in the evening of November 28, 1894, a large landslide occurred in the waters of Commencement Bay carrying part of the Northern Pacific Railway Co.'s warehouse, its freight office, adjoining stockyards, the pump house and the home of H.H. Alger into the water. The night watchman and the Alger daughter lost their lives. In the daylight of the following day, observers came to see the previously inhabited land now covered with water. Although the Railway's freight office was found later floating near the southern tip of Maury Island, the company's safe, rumored to contain $10,000 in cash and $25,000 in securities, was never found. (Hunt: "History of Tacoma Washington" Vol. 2, pg. 170-171)

Also, the Tacoma Yacht Club was originally located on Maury, and there was an important ship-repair at Quartermaster Harbor, a five-mile-long inlet formed by Vashon Island on the west and Maury Island on the east. Global warming didn't eventually join Vashon and Maury, I think it was the result of landfill operations, iirc.

BUT I STILL BLAME BUSH FOR GLOBAL WARMING.

In the interest of full disclosure, I have been speculating and getting facts wrong about Maury for a few years now, and finally have a bit of a handle on the basic narrative at least, which is somewhat complex. It's my conclusion, my considered opinion at this point, that Maury should be treated as a fairy tale. Which doesn't mean it's a hoax. It just means the story involves fairies.

I also think the story should be treated as the basic prototype of much of what was to come later, a sort of archetype of the "modern UFO" myth. To dismiss it out of hand as a hoax or a military psy-op doesn't do it justice in my opinion. There were some real mysteries involved. Mysterious events, but not completely unsusceptible to explanation.

I'll consider the two posts by Burnt State and Sentry as votes of interest, with qualifications. My only interest is to elucidate the circumstances surrounding the story and to correct any errors that might have crept into the retellings, and NOT to vindicate it as real or to dismiss it as a hoax. As I said, my own sense is that it is semi-real.
I'm interested in what you feel is the 'semi-real' nature of the event along with the how's & why's of what appears to be the manipulation of Arnold in connection to it. Arnold goes on to play a unique role in UFO history and I wonder to what extent there was a plan in place to discredit him as a witness and how much thoughtful planning went in to creating the UFO prototype of perception management.

So let's have at the faeries and other strange aspects of the case. Too many UFO cases are steeped in details untrue or details of omission which ends up magnifying mythology instead of revealing truth.

The Bush statement was just to brown-nose up to Gene a little. I don't think global warming is a danger or even happening at this point <GASP!> and Baby Bush came along too late to be guilty of that anyway, although I don't think St. Peter will be letting past the pearly gates for a number of other things (war, war, coke, war)...

Burnt State, I think the manipulation of the situation went beyond the "state of the art" ca. 1947, as Arnold said later. He said, to paraphrase, it wasn't just that the room was bugged, they were reporting back to us our unspoken THOUGHTS. That puts this into fairy territory as far as I'm concerned. Arnold also said 1) his plane wouldn't have been able to take off if the fuel valve were closed at take-off (although I suspect there could be a way enough fuel was in the lines and carb to make it possible for a short time) and 2) the only person who could've turned off the valve was him (I guess it was located in the pilot's cabin). So he's left wondering why he tried to kill himself, why he doesn't remember it, who mind-controlled him and why. Of course there is a simpler explanation: he made sure a little too much everything was go and in advertently closed it after he had opened it, thinking he was opening it. But I don't know the geometry involved and whether this is possible. His feeling was either something reached out of the thin air and shut his fuel off, or he did. This is spooky and at the margins of the fairy realm.

The Winthrop was the best-wired hotel around and had phones in every single room, unlike many mid-20s hotels and even as late as 1947. There was a secret operators' cabin on the roof (I'm guessing just above the ballroom space up there) where all the calls were routed in and out, with 2 operators working. There's no reason room 502 could not have been bugged, whether through the phone or from an adjacent room or air ducts. That Arnold and his fellow pilot could not find a bugging device is not proof of any kind it wasn't bugged, it just means they didn't find the device, if it existed.

As to military intelligence seeking to discredit or nip in the bud the first flying saucer celebrity, Arnold, perhaps. I think they had better things to do at the time. Some of the Verona intercepts (of encrypted Soviet embassy traffic I believe) talk about a Soviet sailor who had jumped ship somewhere on Puget Sound in 1947. The Soviets wanted him back, apparently, and the OSS/CIA likely wanted to know where he was headed and what he was up to. I think they had a lot going on in '47, and the sort of mind games Arnold experienced don't seem to me the best way to discredit him, which could have been achieved by any number of tried and true methods in the spook arsenal. THe only way that really might work is if Arnold and presumably Dahl and Crisman as well had seen experimental aircraft they weren't supposed to. If so, the experimental aircraft were very good, but we've never seen them even now deployed publicly. Manley Hall the occultist and freemason believed they were military aircraft, and suggested backing off and letting Uncle Sam tell us about them in his own sweet time.

I'll get back to this thread in a week or so and try to continue where I left off in the first post (with the second post merely serving as corrections to the first). Thanks for your patience and please feel free to post your own speculations, beliefs, takes and hunches about Maury.

Back