• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Quantum Levitation: Jaw dropping

Free episodes:

This begs the question: Given the proper level of energy to the magnets, could you repel to geostationary orbit and quantum lock an object at that altitude ? ;)

This begs the question: Given the proper level of energy to the magnets, could you repel to geostationary orbit and quantum lock an object at that altitude ? ;)

I would say yes. The variables needed though would be a supercooled satellite and a strong circular magnetic field.

I've seen this before on numerous occasions (on YouTube, of course.)

There are a great number of substances that can become superconductors at extremely low temperatures. This video is just capturing a few of the more visual properties that these materials have.

While theoretically possible, you would require an immensly powerful magnetic field to support a significant weight at such a distance. I would say no known magnet could even come remotely close to being able to generate such a field. And don't forget, you would stilll need to lift and move your object to orbital altitude somehow, as well as making sure that it was refrigerated constantly below its superconducting temperature. As a practical project, I'd say it is of nil value. More interesting is to use this effect for maglev trains. It has been tried, and it is difficult to get suspension of the train even fractions of an inch above the track because of the weight involved. But it sure makes a spectacular science demo!

While theoretically possible, you would require an immensly powerful magnetic field to support a significant weight at such a distance. I would say no known magnet could even come remotely close to being able to generate such a field. And don't forget, you would stilll need to lift and move your object to orbital altitude somehow, as well as making sure that it was refrigerated constantly below its superconducting temperature. As a practical project, I'd say it is of nil value. More interesting is to use this effect for maglev trains. It has been tried, and it is difficult to get suspension of the train even fractions of an inch above the track because of the weight involved. But it sure makes a spectacular science demo!

The earth has an iron core thus our magnetosphere... Wonder if we could effectively tap into it ;)

Back