• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Sea plankton found outside International Space Station

Free episodes:

Not sure if this has been posted here yet.. interesting .. What implications do you think this has for pan-spermia? Sea plankton living in space - science | Stuff.co.nz

Maybe it was carried there on the hull of a nearby yet to be discovered Viking boat floating in orbit :D

After that one, I think I'll wait for second and third confirmations of authenticity before assuming the story is legit. Vladimir Solovyov is a real person, but did he really say what he was quoted as saying and is it in the right context? There are far too few details at this time to not be a little reserved about the claim.

Last edited:
Now thatz a high tide for ye.

lol some one had to say it I guess

Maybe it was carried there on the hull of a nearby yet to be discovered Viking boat floating in orbit :D

After that one, I think I'll wait for second and third confirmations of authenticity before assuming the story is legit. Vladimir Solovyov is a real person, but did he really say what he was quoted as saying and is it in the right context? There are far too few details at this time to not be a little reserved about the claim.

True enough but thought you lot would find that interesting.

True enough but thought you lot would find that interesting.

And you were correct to think so. It is interesting :cool:. I love space news, and if it's true I think your question on the implications for panspermia is definitely worth considering. If these organisms can just float up out of the atmosphere and live in space, maybe they can drift off and get left behind in the wake of our solar system as it moves through space and eventually drift down onto some other world. Wouldn't it be ironic if the first successful interstellar travelers weren't the big smart complex creatures like us, but these tiny simple little things.

"Space officials claimed the plankton were not carried there at launch, but are thought to have been blown over by air currents on Earth."

I did not know air currents extend 420 kilometers into space.

I like that, it fit's in with my long held belief system.

And the free range vacuum critters run alot bigger than algea imo.

Professor Chandra Wickramasinghe, of the Buckingham Centre for Astrobiology, said algae-like organisms, or diatoms, have previously been found on meteorites which have fallen to Earth.

'Diatoms have been found on meteorites in Sri Lanka, but there has been no proof where they actually came from,' he said.

'This is the first time that we have evidence that points towards complex living organisms falling from the skies to Earth.

"Space officials claimed the plankton were not carried there at launch, but are thought to have been blown over by air currents on Earth."

It does'nt, that's an absurd claim.

'The space station is orbiting the earth in a total vacuum, there is no air, so it is a total defiance of the laws of physics to say these organisms were blown into space from Earth.

'The only explanation is that they have come from elsewhere in space, and this supports long-held theories that plankton, and therefore all life on Earth including humans, originated from organisms in space.

EDIT

PS, here's what i think is a bigger 'space ocean' critter.

full screen viewing, and caption between 3mins 50 sec's and 5min.

I dont know how much higher than the clouds it is, but i suspect this footage and many many more bit's of footage just like it are critters in or at the very edge of our atmosphere.

Last edited:

Why is this guy considered a "controversial academic" ?

...although they could have been transferred from American parts of the station as Nasa's launches mostly take place near the Atlantic Ocean.

When I toured NASA in Houston I saw parts of the International Space Station being contructed. Those modules sit in basically a big garage with open doors on either end, with the wind blowing through. It's by no means a sterile environment.

Why is this guy considered a "controversial academic" ?

When I toured NASA in Houston I saw parts of the International Space Station being contructed. Those modules sit in basically a big garage with open doors on either end, with the wind blowing through. It's by no means a sterile environment.

Bingo! no unlike probes to other worlds components of the station are not constructed in a sterile environment... :)
So could there be residue on the hull.. you bet there could be.

Not sure what all the skepticism is about i seem to recall some documentary I saw back in the 70' s about there being pigs in space.

Last edited:
Bingo! no unlike probes to other worlds components of the station are not constructed in a sterile environment... :)
So could there be residue on the hull.. you bet there could be.

Why on earth would you think that, the first thing that happen's to a shuttle on landing, is it is sterilised completely,

Charlie Prime said: ↑

manxman said: ↑
It does'nt, that's an absurd claim.

'The space station is orbiting the earth in a total vacuum, there is no air, so it is a total defiance of the laws of physics to say these organisms were blown into space from Earth.

'The only explanation is that they have come from elsewhere in space, and this supports long-held theories that plankton, and therefore all life on Earth including humans, originated from organisms in space.

Three quarters of the atmospheric mass resides within the troposphere, and the depth of this layer varies between 17 km at the equator and 7 km at the poles. The ozone layer, which absorbs ultraviolet energy from the Sun, is located primarily in the stratosphere, at altitudes of 15 to 35 km. The Kármán line, located within the thermosphere at an altitude of 100 km, is commonly used to define the boundary between the Earth's atmosphere and outer space. However, the exosphere can extend from 500 up to 1,000 km above the surface, where it interacts with the planet's magnetosphere. (Wikipedia)

Feel free to hate me for pointing that out, but since it takes less than 30 seconds to use those very clever machines we're all using to access this website to find out how big the Earth's atmosphere actually is, it's probably a good idea to check the basic facts before claiming that something is impossible.

Why on earth would you think that, the first thing that happen's to a shuttle on landing, is it is sterilised completely,

Shuttle on landing? I am not talking about the shuttle.. discussing components of the ISS which would be very well sterilized if they had to land.. so let me see when was the last time we landed the ISS?

That aside lets us change topic and talk about the ISS modules and who made them and how they are made to clear things up shall we.

Back