• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Self-Replicating Alien Probes Might Already Be Here

Free episodes:

Christopher O'Brien

Back in the Saddle Aginn
Staff member
Article HERE:

From a Jack Sarfatti email conversation about the Physics.org article:

Gary Bekkum:
This is the same basic idea I have been promoting for several years ... and recent advances in stealth technology suggest they might easily remain undetected -- even if they are already interacting with select members of the human race.

"A fleet of self-replicating probes could travel at only 10% of the speed of light and still explore the entire Galaxy in the relatively short time of 10 million years"

"The Fermi Paradox, proposed in 1953 by physicist Enrico Fermi, suggests there is a contradiction between the high probability that civilizations exist elsewhere in the Universe and the fact that there has been no contact between ourselves and other civilizations."

A Solution to the Fermi Paradox:
The Solar System, part of a Galactic Hypercivilization?
Beatriz Gato-Rivera

Article HERE:
(Submitted on 7 Dec 2005 (v1), last revised 12 Jan 2006 (this version, v3))
I introduce the Fermi Paradox and some of its solutions. Then I present my own solution which includes two proposals called the Subanthropic Principle and the Undetectability Conjecture. After discussing some consequences of this solution, I make some comments about brane world scenarios and their potential to strengthen the Fermi Paradox. Finally, in the appendix I have included some questions and answers that came up during this Forum.
Rest of Article HERE:

Well that is an interesting concept. Sounds kind of like something we'll be doing some day.
Possibly. The idea makes me a bit nervous though. What if these self-replicating probes decided to start self-replicating around here until there were way too many of them to control? Or what if we're self replicating probes, designed to map out the planet, find all the resources, and build cities ready for alien colonists, who upon arrival simply turn us all off with some kind of genetic kill switch, leaving them with a ready made civilization?

Back