• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Space Science

Do you think humans will ever colonize another planet?

• Yes. By the year 2100

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Yes. By the year 2200

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Yes. By the year 2300

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Yes. By the year 2400

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Yes. By the year 2500

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No. The distances are just too large.

• No. Human civilization will self destruct before we become sufficiently advanced.

• No. Natural disasters will set us back too often to make sufficient progress.

• Total voters

Free episodes:

Randall

J. Randall Murphy
If you find any cool mainstream space science articles or videos post them here! By becoming familiar with space related science we're less likely to be taken in by spurious claims and we can formulate more logical theories for or against the possibility of alien visitation.

Space Probes

There's not a choice for the option I would choose:
@ Mankind has already colonized other planets.

I thought about adding that one in, but I'm trying to keep this thread founded more in the science we have developed within the time span of our recorded history. If we've colonized other worlds already, I think it would have been with the help of an alien civilization because no sufficient ancient technology has ever been found to support the idea that humans built interstellar craft eons ago. Also evolutionary studies strongly suggest that we evolved here and didn't simply arrive from someplace else.

I thought about adding that one in, but I'm trying to keep this thread founded more in the science we have developed within the time span of our recorded history. If we've colonized other worlds already, I think it would have been with the help of an alien civilization because no sufficient ancient technology has ever been found to support the idea that humans built interstellar craft eons ago. Also evolutionary studies strongly suggest that we evolved here and didn't simply arrive from someplace else.

So it's a mainstream question?
Conventional wisdom tells me:
I can't see humans colonizing anything past the moon any time soon.
And our current tech is woefully inadequate. There are occassional announcements of breakthroughs and some things being worked on, but space flight is just kinda being toyed with...no serious undertakings are going on for deep space.
Unless something happens to spur people along.... apathy, greed, and absence of vision will keep us dirtside. Or at least within earths gravity in orbit.

Now, if Mars rover Curiosity were to discover scantily clad beautiful Martian women that wanted to party, Martian bourbon and beer plants for the taking, and some kind of manly Martian sport....humans would be there in droves this time next year.

I guess it's all in the motivation.

Back