• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

The Oldfield Film

Free episodes:

skunkape

Paranormal Maven
This is an interesting piece of vintage footage. It would be hard to fake with 8mm film. The way it disappears is pretty mind blowing.

ATS Video: Oldfield Film-1966
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

According to this source it's an optical illusion:

This famous UFO footage was taken by Thomas Oldfield through an airplane window. For years the footage was thought to be authentic. However, it was later proven to be an optical illusion. What you are actually seeing is the tail of the airplane that has been "distorted" and "doubled" because of the convex nature of the glass and the camera lenses.

Pretty good illusion. I would have to see it reproduced before I buy it all the way.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

heh, if it wasnt for the way it disappears by shrinking down into itself, Im not sure I would believe optical illusion explanation. But that makes sense though.

I would like to see it reproduced though too.

The reproduction part is the only part I don't understand. If it is an optical illusion then are there other instances of this kind of thing being reported? Not saying it isn't cause it more than likely is. Matter of fact it resembles a tail. But has anyone thought to examine the planes tail and compared it to the film? Anyway, interesting film.

The reproduction part is the only part I don't understand. If it is an optical illusion then are there other instances of this kind of thing being reported? Not saying it isn't cause it more than likely is. Matter of fact it resembles a tail. But has anyone thought to examine the planes tail and compared it to the film? Anyway, interesting film.

I assume the investigator who came up with the optical illusion solution must have done that.

I can't believe this is even being discussed. Are you honestly saying none of you have ever seen a comparable illusion through thick glass, plexiglass,etc.?!?!? Wow.

I wonder how many of these illusions or mirages are responsible for UFO sightings, that in itself would be an interesting study.

According to this source it's an optical illusion:
That's exactly right. The Lockheed P-3C Orion has the same issue. Around the aft observer windows (crew station 9 & 10) - it is convex. So it creates the same effect as seen in the video. Every time I've seen the Oldfield film I would say to myself "not a flying saucer - that's why its length is stretched out and then shrinks again."

Back