• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

The Three Realms of UFO Publicity

Free episodes:

Jeff Crowell

Paranormal Annoyance
In a recent episode of The Paracast, Leslie Keane expressed dismay and disappointment in the pop culture and woo-woo elements that were prominent at a UFO conference she attended within the last few weeks. It concerned Leslie that these other two elements of UFO publicity were set side-by-side with serious UFO researchers, however this trio of worlds regarding UFO’s may be more self-sustaining that many of us want to consider. Specifically the three are; serious UFO research, UFO pop culture, and the woo-woo factor.

Serious Research
…offers us hope of discovering the origins and sourcing of the UFO/UAP events reported globally. Regardless of the chances of that hope being realized, anybody who’s even touched on this topic possesses that hope, and serious study into the phenomenon may, someday yield some answers. Also there is another hope that the actual sourcing of UFO experiences may actually reveal itself to the human species based on our persistence in its study alone. The downside of serious research, however is raw, cold, hard cash. There really isn’t any of it contributed to this cause. To add to the deficit in funding for such research there is a severe lack of trained personnel and equipment that’s assigned to the cause. Essentially, even if you have the money that doesn’t mean you have the equipment or the training to use it in a genuinely scientific manner.

UFO Pop Culture
War of the Worlds, ET, and Battle: Los Angeles , countless other movies, books, comics, radio shows and podcasts…the list goes on and on. UFO’s permeate pop culture and offer an aspect of escapism in a public assaulted by high taxes, higher unemployment, a failing government, and down-right misery. Ultimately UFO pop culture is fun. I recently watched the alien movie Paul and very much enjoyed the vision of driving across the American Southwest visiting all of the UFO and alien hotspots. Also, as Leslie admitted in the episode, UFO pop culture tends to rake in money. There is profit to be made there, and the right kind of entreprenure can blend UFO pop culture with UFO research into a perpetual system with one paying for the other. Of course the downside to pop culture is the laugh-factor associated with it. Just mention “aliens” or “UFO’s” to a member of the general public and you’re bound to get responses along the line of “phone home!” or “na-nu, na-nu.” Because of this “silliness” surrounding UFO pop culture it should be segregated from serious research and discussion. If both are to exist in a conference, the vendor booth and conference rooms displaying pop culture aspects of UFO entertainment should be completely separate from the conference rooms where serious discussions and serious forums are taking place so that participants of one could completely avoid the other if desired. Ultimately serious research, however, is just going to have to learn to live in harmony with its more popular sibling.

The Woo-woo Crowd
It’s not too much of a stretch to say that most people involved in UFO research wouldn’t mind if the woo-woo crowd up-and-disappeared completely. Unfortunately that’s unlikely. Of all three elements of the UFO phenomenon, the woo-woo element offers the least benefit and the greatest detriment. In a nut-shell (pun intended) the woo-woo crowd considers UFO’s and aliens along the lines of a religious belief system. This goes far beyond pop culture into the realm of belief and religious fervor, from channeling alien intelligences to the idea that members of the government are actually evil reptilian aliens, such gullible people make even the pop culture enthusiast look bad. In regards to the woo-woo crowd about the only thing you can do is roll them out of the serious UFO conferences and force them into their own conferences and events where such like-minded people can gather and ‘woo-woo’ to their hearts desire.

Sometimes the line is pretty thin between these three aspects of UFO ideals in the public eye but that line needs to remain defined. I believe this will help ease the frustration and disappointment felt by serious researchers such as Leslie Keane and others, while at the same time allowing general, unintelligent folk like me to engage in the fun of the pop culture, even while I sneak into one of Leslie’s presentations while wearing an aluminum foil hat!

Peace.

Interesting points. But, I have to say something about the woo woo stuff. To some folks all of it is woo woo. Also, it's hard to define serious study when most of the so called serious folks are at each others throats. For instance I honestly think Stanton Friedman is serious. But so is Whitley Strieber. Now you might like one and hate the other but both are to the best of their knowledge looking for the truth. I don't think either one of them has it. Linda Molton Howe is absolutely savaged on these boards. I don't buy her either but she is serious. To be honest the religious folks can be woo woo. But, on the other hand people like Michael Heisser and others have legitimate thoughts on the subject. I may not agree with them but I don't think they deserve the term woo woo. I'm afraid some things just don't lend themselves to "hard science." I don't know if they ever will. Now, if we could actually find a nuts and bolts craft that could be studied. Some say they have been but are buried deep in a secret government beurocracy. I'm reminded of a good skeptical friend of mine from Colorado. We saw a rainbow and I was seeing it as a spiritual as well as physical event. NO, I don't mean the rainbow was a ghost or a spritual entitiy. ;) I just had my reasons for seeing spiritual confirmation. Can't even really remember much about it now. My friend is a scientist complete with a legitimate PHD. Not a fake one from M.I.T. He explained the rainbow is caused by the reflection and refraction of sunlight through water droplets in the atmosphere. I knew that. Point is the thing I was describing was different than the thing he was seeing. Was he right? Absolutely. Was I right? Of course. But, I can never, ever prove that to my friend with a test tube. Of course he will never, ever prove to me that we are here by chance and there is no higher purpose in the world. He later studied Buddism so I guess I had some affect. I later became much more agnostic so I guess he had some effect. Anyway, I'm afraid some subjects may always be in danger of falling into woo woo land.

Similar to what I said in another thread ... Ufology Studies are the main course and Ufology Culture is the dessert. I love the serious stuff, but the movies and collectibles and social aspect like this forum and the podcasts are what make it fun. Who cares if the woo-woos show up now and then? So long as we don't have outright frauds and con artists in the fray, I'm fine with it all. Besides ufology has enough problems with itself, and we should fix that before criticzing everyone else.

j.r.

Interesting points. But, I have to say something about the woo woo stuff. To some folks all of it is woo woo. Also, it's hard to define serious study when most of the so called serious folks are at each others throats. For instance I honestly think Stanton Friedman is serious. But so is Whitley Strieber. Now you might like one and hate the other but both are to the best of their knowledge looking for the truth. I don't think either one of them has it. Linda Molton Howe is absolutely savaged on these boards. I don't buy her either but she is serious. To be honest the religious folks can be woo woo. But, on the other hand people like Michael Heisser and others have legitimate thoughts on the subject. I may not agree with them but I don't think they deserve the term woo woo. ...

I guess we should define the "serious" ness of "serious." I was referring to the serious researchers who bring data and have measurable qualities. People who are versed in environmental observation and finding answers within that observation. I completely agree with you that the line is going to be blurred but what I'm more talking about is that research aspect. Whitley Strieber, for instance, is quite serious but has he done any real research? What data has he collected, what tests has he done, how many eye-witnesses has he interviewed and what were his results? Usually witnesses and experiencers, some would say abductees, are very serious about what they encountered and in promoting the UFO phenomena, but that doesn't make them researchers nor what they do serious research.

Where the line is blurred is for people like Linda Molton Howe and Michael Heisser whom you've mentioned, here. Both have done field work and gathered data in an attempt to find answers. What makes them more "woo woo" (and I use the term loosely and kindly, here) is that their results are "out there" in regards to what some people would call reality. So there's your gray area. If you have a "serious researcher" whose results don't exactly mesh with the status quo.

In my limited and personal opinion, the woo-woo crowd includes the faith healers, "Paledian channelers," Exo Politic backers, and people who are, admittedly, serious but contribute little-to-nothing to the discovery or research of the UFO phenomenon. However some would probably see me as too lenient and others would see me as too restrictive because the boarders between the two are so gray (alien). In the end, I still get into the pop culture part, though! At least people who enjoy the pop culture know they aren't serious.

---------- Post added at 09:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:01 AM ----------

Similar to what I said in another thread ... Ufology Studies are the main course and Ufology Culture is the dessert. I love the serious stuff, but the movies and collectibles and social aspect like this forum and the podcasts are what make it fun. Who cares if the woo-woos show up now and then? So long as we don't have outright frauds and con artists in the fray, I'm fine with it all. Besides ufology has enough problems with itself, and we should fix that before criticzing everyone else.

j.r.

Well said! One of the best times I shared with my son was after a trip to the local Lego store in Indianapolis. We saw, and bought, a few Lego sets that were alien themed. They came with civilians and human defenders, flying saucers and all that. We spend the afternoon building the sets on our kitchen table and we had a blast! Of course I did the building, he did the playing but it was still excellent father-son bonding time, all centered around the pop-culture of UFO's and aliens.

Good times. :) .

Well said! One of the best times I shared with my son was after a trip to the local Lego store in Indianapolis. We saw, and bought, a few Lego sets that were alien themed. They came with civilians and human defenders, flying saucers and all that. We spend the afternoon building the sets on our kitchen table and we had a blast! Of course I did the building, he did the playing but it was still excellent father-son bonding time, all centered around the pop-culture of UFO's and aliens.

Good times. :) .

Very cool ! I'll have to add the Lego experience as a facet of ufology culture. Man I loved those things when I was a kid. A very heartwarming story.

You also make a great point about where ufology should draw the line. There are so many gradients between the various colors that it's hard to tell where the boundaries are. To manage this problem I've defined ufolgy this way on our website at USI: "Ufology is the title used for the array of subject matter and activities associated with an interest in UFOs." and added that, "Those who pursue ufology as more than a pastime are known as ufologists." Then I've gone on to establish the two primary areas of ufology as a whole "Ufology Studies" & "Ufology Culture". Within ufology studies we have sub-categories that deal with history, mythology, philosophy, jouranlism, investigation and analysis. Analysis involves science and/or critical thinking.

I've defined ufology culture this way: "Ufology culture is a facet of modern ufology focused on the social activities and artifacts surrounding a general interest in UFOs. It crosses the boundaries of fact and fiction and is largely for entertainment and networking purposes. The most prominent examples of ufology culture include films, festivals, interest groups, games, television productions, and memorabilia. Ufology culture isn't to be confused with UFO cults or religions, which are a separate topic altogether. The people who participate in ufology culture are often referred to as the ufology community, and are loosely connected by memberships in UFO interest groups and online activities such as social networking and discussion forums."

The full page is here: http://www.ufopages.com/Reference/BD/Ufology-01a.htm ( NOTE: A full featued browser is required to view this website ).

j.r.

Back