• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Thought into Reality and Back Again: UFOs to Fiction to UFOs...

Free episodes:

Sentry

Paranormal Adept
On the April 13 Paracast listeners' roundtable, Chris O'Brien's colorful mention of Klingons eventually led into a brief discussion of the cross-pollination of UFO lore and Science Fiction. It's been noted that flying ships of all shapes (including saucers) had been imagined long before 1947, and that life on other worlds was not a new idea either. Gene pointed out instances of films influencing the UFO stories, and there's no question that the entertainment business has found flying saucers for to be a rich source of story material.

"Close Encounters of the Third Kind" blended many classic UFO stories into a single narrative, but there's a lesser film from 1977 that did the same thing, "Starship Invasions." In it, Canadian director Edward Hunt has some bad aliens defying the policy of the good aliens by exterminating man, so they can use Earth to replace their dying planet.

A friend just sent me a link to the film on Youtube, and while I saw this when it came out, had mostly forgotten about it. It's like a buffet of UFO legends rolled up into one cinematic casserole, from the opening act, which is a replay of the Vilas-Boas very close encounter! Ramses and his bad aliens wear outfits with dragons similar to the abductors of Herbert Schirmer, the android servant is a ringer for the Pascagoula abduction aliens, and the flying saucer from the Trent/Mcminnville case has a guest-starring role. My favorite shot in the movie is of the UFO scientist played by Robert Vaughn at home doing some research and case reviews.
Screen+Shot+2014-04-12+at+10.58.23+AM.jpg

There are also some excellent scenes of the alien girls in their functional uniforms.
sinvs10.jpg

Even more interesting is that Ed Hunt went on to write and direct another UFO film two years later, not fiction, but a documentary, "Flying Saucers are Real," released in the US as "UFO's are Real." As a friend described it, "The script itself is loaded with references, it feels like reading Erich von Daniken and some 'the Day the Earth Stood Still."

Stanton Friedman is there, too and was credited as co-writer, presenting the first appearance of Major Jesse Marcel's story of recovering wreckage of a flying saucer and bringing it to Roswell Army Air Field.

Ed Hunt had a hand in UFO history. There's definitely some chicken and egg cycling of ideas here!

Is that Kim Kardashian in the 2nd pic ? If so, considering when this film was made I'd say she's been aging very well

IMO one of the things that makes ufology interesting is the cultural aspect, which includes entertainment. However I don't buy into the idea that the answer to all ( or even most ) non-fiction UFO reports resides someplace in Hollywood. I think that is a cheap attempt by UFO deniers and anti-ufology skeptics to dismiss the reality of the phenomenon, and that at the root, the real phenomenon is responsible for inspiring the fiction, not the other way around. To be more specific, there's little doubt that fiction can inspire fiction, resulting in the growth of a particular sub-class of genre e.g. UFO based sci-fi, but it's preposterous to suggest that because people watch movies and read books about UFOs, that they then suddenly walk outside and start hallucinating UFOs.

Last edited:
I agree, but I think the media notion of a flying saucer gives the mind a convenient model to match to a distant unknown flying object, and in some instances the imagination can fill in some of the blanks. The UFO Handbook by Allan Hendry has some good examples that probablly resulted from this, where people interpreted lighted advertising planes as flying saucers with blinking lights.

You are right that things like are used to "debunk" UFOs without investigation, just like lawyers in criminal trials try to argue cases with examples (credible or not) that will sway the perception of the story in their favor. Rather than try to prove anything, it's just an attempt to undermine the opposition's case.

Getting back to the media, to me their worst offense has been to cheapen the discussion by reducing it to stereotypes. Even when something genuinely interesting is reported, the news wants to bring these guys into the story.
Screen+Shot+2014-04-06+at+5.48.05+PM.jpg

Back