• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

UFO Fundamentals?

Free episodes:

Mr. Fibuli

Paranormal Adept
I was wondering if anyone had given thought to compiling a list of cases/reading that would give folks who are new to this sort of research a basic knowledge of phenomena/history to bring them up to speed on the subject?
What I'm trying to suggest is a short list of essentials that wouldn't take years to get through at a reasonable rate and would be broad enough to have a firm foundation. Is that even possible? Just a thought.

Dolan's opus is the National Security State series whose primary focus is the political cover up of the UFO phenomenon, whereas Jerome Clark has written the UFO Encylopaedia whose second edition is a rather definitive bible of the UFO conundrum with some exceptionally detailed reports. IMHO Clark's work is definitive and more valuable than Dolan's approach. Clark has also provided his own paradigm for analysis through his concept of event vs. experience anomaly. There is some good video work on YouTube featuring a lecture by him on this topic. His books though are extremely expensive and best found at libraries. Dolan has also recently produced his own more populist overview of Ufology.

Koi has also provided some free opportunities for researching the phenomenon online, though I would call his work sometimes populist but highly detailed and voluminous. He does point to some interesting material and also has his 1800 page primer on the history of major Ufological events. Koi also provides things like various ranking systems of cases using a variety of approaches and different top ten case lists from various figures in the field i.e. Paul Kimball's list which is derived from his excellent documentary that looks at ten strong cases - also available online.

Last edited:
I was wondering if anyone had given thought to compiling a list of cases/reading that would give folks who are new to this sort of research a basic knowledge of phenomena/history to bring them up to speed on the subject?
What I'm trying to suggest is a short list of essentials that wouldn't take years to get through at a reasonable rate and would be broad enough to have a firm foundation. Is that even possible? Just a thought.
A now somewhat dated, but still excellent reference book that doesn't cost an arm and a leg is Beyond Top Secret by Timothy Good. Another more recent work is UFOs and Government: A Historical Inquiry, available here: My Associates Store

If you have a real PC and full featured browser, I've put Ruppelt's classic The Report On Unidentified Flying Objects up on the USI website ( here ) to read free online. I think it can also be downloaded elsewhere as a PDF. Might have an original copy left for sale someplace too if you're a collector. Some that come to mind ...

51Gdq93umrL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
truforcover.jpg
condonreport.jpg

51qSJzFcOOL.jpg
51LdUwdYKIL._SX308_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
41PJMKGDW9L.jpg
71WZ2BPSYKL._SX283_BO1,204,203,200_.gif

Last edited:
for encounter-related material I'd also recommend:

Abduction- John Mack
Passport to the Cosmos- John Mack
True Hallucinations- Terence McKenna
Secret Life- David Jacobs
The Threat- David Jacobs

This is actually the subject of my upcoming book. Other than Dolan and a VERY small batch of others (mostly quite dated), I was a little frustrated that there were not that many out there. That's when I decided I was going to focus my upcoming book as a sort of "primer" on the subject. Sort of a quick and dirty, but informative and entertaining introduction to the subject of UFOs/UAPs. Focusing on both the strongest and most important (at least in my opinion) UFO cases and phenomena; as well as a general overview of the history and timelines regarding the subject(s).

My own project aside, a few I would recommend off the top of my head are:
  • Timothy Good - Alien Contact
  • Jim Marrs - Alien Agenda
  • Jacques Vallée - The Invisible College
  • Jacques Vallée - Messengers of Deception
  • Richard Dolan - UFOs and the National Security State Series
As a side note: most of the books mentioned in this thread can be found as a free pdf or ebook with a quick search.

Last edited:
a short list of essentials that wouldn't take years to get through at a reasonable rate and would be broad enough to have a firm foundation. Is that even possible? Just a thought.

Mark Pilkingon, Mirage Men. Greg Bishop, Project Beta and Radio Misterioso. Jim Moseley, Shockingly Close to the Truth! Stuff by Bullard, Kimball, Gulyas. Clark is OK, but generally authors who rely on secondary or tertiary sources are to be eschewed since there's no assurance they don't just push along and embellish an already existing cultural narrative. Vallee is dated but okay. John Michael Greer is pretty good.

@Sue, Vallée is dated but ok? And Clark is only ok as well? Harsh words, sister, for two of the heavyweights in the history of the field.:eek: I love everyone you focus on in your opening line and Gulyas!

Last edited:
NOTHING by Budd Hopkins or David Jacobs please. Stick with Jacques Vallee.
Whether or not one believes the work written by a particular author, or even if a particular author's work is found to contain errors or biased opinions, isn't a necessarily good reason not to suggest that someone interested in that subject matter shouldn't become informed about it. Hopkins' Missing Time, is a classic in the area of alien abductions, so anyone interested in the subject should check it out, if nothing else, for the purpose of becoming informed about the phenomenon of missing time that seems to be associated with abduction claims.

Again, this isn't to suggest that readers should fall hook, line, and sinker for all the claims that are suggested or implied. As always, every reader should consider the wider issues as well as skeptical opinion and other relevant information, even if it contradicts what is in a given work. For example, I'm not a believer in the Sitgreaves National Forest incident ( The Walton abduction claim ), but that doesn't mean I wouldn't recommend Fire in the Sky to someone who might be interested in finding out more about Walton's claim. At the same time I'd also suggest that readers check out what others have to say about the case, either pro or con.

Last edited:
NOTHING by Budd Hopkins or David Jacobs please. Stick with Jacques Vallee.

Budd Hopkins' book Witnessed is a really interesting read. Bizarre to say the least, but interesting and entertaining none the less.

I wouldn't recommend completely discounting an author, even a small shard of solid information can be found among even the strangest of works. As long as you're skeptical and take the information for what it's worth and sift out the information which is of little interest or use to you, most authors in this field are worth the read.

Last edited:
Two general suggestions in choosing authors:

-Ground your outlook in things written at or near the beginning of the "modern" age of "UFOlogy" in the mid to late forties. (Hynek, Ruppelt) Most of this material's ETH hypothesis is set in concrete. But its approach to the subject, especially in the context of the American military's and public's apparent reaction to it, sets the stage for much of what subsequently follows.

-Beyond my first suggestion and somewhat contradictory to it: Don't limit yourself to authors who cling steadfastly to their own opinions about the "true" origins of the phenomenon in lieu of delving into the presentation of the high strangeness experience itself. Good work is also characterized by citing more than one witness for a given incident, often witnesses who are otherwise unconnected.

An honest and worthwhile author may share his or her personal opinion about the "true" nature of these phenomena. But they should also be willing to admit their opinions are just that. Example: Robert Hastings' investigation regarding the apparent interest UFOs have in mankind's nuclear weapons is most excellent. He seems to believe we are dealing with nuts and bolts craft operated by "EBE"s. But this is incidental to his well researched material and so overall quality is not diminished.

Most importantly: Let your imagination soar and enjoy !

Alien Agenda is a great introduction to the field as it's very well written. UFOs and the National Security State, Vol 1 is a great reference book on the government involvement. The Vallee trilogy (Dimensions, Confrontation and Revelations) are a great alternate point of view, as is the Invisible College, which is nice and short.

I liked Missing Time and Intruders as good introductions to the UFO abduction phenomenon. Hunt for the Skinwalker was excellently written so I enjoyed that book.

@Sue, Vallée is dated but ok? And Clark is only ok as well? Harsh words, sister, for two of the heavyweights in the history of the field.:eek: I love everyone you focus on in your opening line and Gulyas!
Maybe you're right. In a certain sense fundamentals are never dated, but I do have concerns about how accessible Vallee is for kids today. I like Clark a lot, especially for the event vs. experience distinction; I just wish he wrote more theory. Also, my list is pretty much confined to books you could find in a public library, and there's a lot of important stuff that that would miss.

... In a certain sense fundamentals are never dated, but I do have concerns about how accessible Vallee is for kids today ...
Just curious. I have a couple of projects on the go and I would really like to publish something that would be "accessible for kids today" so I was just wondering if you could provide your opinion on the best way to approach that challenge?

Back