• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

What's New in Ufology?

Free episodes:

Jortic

Paranormal Novice
[FONT=&quot] Lately I have been reading some of the “classic” UFO books, trying to get an idea of how much progress we, collectively, have made in determining what they are.<o></o>[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Regardless of what history has taught us about Gray Barker, he created a useful summary of UFO-think circa 1956. In [/FONT][FONT=&quot]THEY KNEW TOO MUCH ABUT FLYING SAUCERS, Published 1956, before "Flying Saucers" became "UFOs", Mr. Barkers says: <o></o>[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] I have at least, I believe, narrowed the possibilities down to six, and that should be of some value. Lacking enough data, I am unable to narrow it to fewer ramifications.<o></o>[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] These possibilities are, and I will read them off my notes as I have them outlined: <o></o>[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot](1) The saucers come from space.<o></o>[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot](2) The saucers represent American secret defense weapons.<o></o>[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot](3) The saucers represent secret devices built by a foreign power.<o></o>[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot](4) The saucers represent a kind of fourth dimension, and are not solid or real as we would think of it.<o></o>[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot](5) The saucers are coming from a secret place on the Earth itself, constructed by a people we do not know about.<o></o>[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot](6) [Albert K] Bender found out that we have already achieved space travel, have already launched an artificial or, more fantastic but possible, that man is already on the Moon.<o></o>[/FONT]
#<o></o>
[FONT=&quot] So I’d like to throw this out there. From 1956 to 2008, over half a century, have me made any real progress toward solving this mystery? Can we add anything useful to Mr. Barker's list?<o></o>[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] Lately I have been reading some of the “classic” UFO books, trying to get an idea of how much progress we, collectively, have made in determining what they are.<o></o>[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Regardless of what history has taught us about Gray Barker, he created a useful summary of UFO-think circa 1956. In [/FONT][FONT=&quot]THEY KNEW TOO MUCH ABUT FLYING SAUCERS, Published 1956, before "Flying Saucers" became "UFOs", Mr. Barkers says: <o></o>[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] I have at least, I believe, narrowed the possibilities down to six, and that should be of some value. Lacking enough data, I am unable to narrow it to fewer ramifications.<o></o>[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] These possibilities are, and I will read them off my notes as I have them outlined: <o></o>[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot](1) The saucers come from space.<o></o>[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot](2) The saucers represent American secret defense weapons.<o></o>[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot](3) The saucers represent secret devices built by a foreign power.<o></o>[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot](4) The saucers represent a kind of fourth dimension, and are not solid or real as we would think of it.<o></o>[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot](5) The saucers are coming from a secret place on the Earth itself, constructed by a people we do not know about.<o></o>[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot](6) [Albert K] Bender found out that we have already achieved space travel, have already launched an artificial or, more fantastic but possible, that man is already on the Moon.<o></o>[/FONT]
#<o></o>
[FONT=&quot] So I’d like to throw this out there. From 1956 to 2008, over half a century, have me made any real progress toward solving this mystery? Can we add anything useful to Mr. Barker's list?<o></o>[/FONT]

Uhm, far from being the expert here but, if anything, I think the list got even longer.
In terms of progress: I think you could merge the redundant, Cold War based options 2) and 3), making the list less America-centeric :P, and note the fact that the various options are far from being mutually exclusive, something which might not have been all that obvious back in 1956 (not sure though, I wasn't around).

Uhm, far from being the expert here but, if anything, I think the list got even longer.
In terms of progress: I think you could merge the redundant, Cold War based options 2) and 3), making the list less America-centeric :P, and note the fact that the various options are far from being mutually exclusive, something which might not have been all that obvious back in 1956 (not sure though, I wasn't around).

Umm ... Brad Steiger (prolific book put-er-out-er) has a list of 17 "Theories of the UFO Enigma". See here (you may have to do a lot of scrolling to find this bit on the page):

http://www.bradandsherry.com/sfiles.htm

And of course there are probably others you could add to this if you stretch your mind outside the square.

Back