• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

You Can Buy Carl Jung's Letter To The 'New Republic' About UFOs

Free episodes:

Christopher O'Brien

Back in the Saddle Aginn
Staff member
Article HERE:

You Can Buy Carl Jung's Letter To The 'New Republic' About UFOs

Alexis Coe | May 22nd, 2013
jung.jpg

Swiss psychiatrist Carl Jung was never one to shy away from controversy. When Zentralblatt für Psychotherapie endorsed Mein Kampf without his approval, Jung attempted to eradicate pro-Nazi influence from his publication.1 He parted ways with Sigmund Freud, who once called Jung “his adopted eldest son, his crown prince and successor,” over differing theories on the unconscious. And, as the sex scenes so dispassionately depicted in A Dangerous Method suggested, he was comfortable with disregarding sexual and professional taboos, including bondage, spanking, and a liaison with a patient-turned-student.2

For his final act, Jung cast an analytical eye on UFOs.

Swann Auction Galleries has unearthed a 1957 missive Jung sent to New Republic editor Gilbert A. Harrison on the paranormal phenomena, in which he anticipates a publication that would prove to be his last. “Being rather old, I have to economise my energies,” Jung concludes, politely declining what he vaguely refers to as Harrison’s “proposal.” The editor presumably solicited an article on UFOs; Jung had already committed to writing a forthcoming book on the subject. Flying Saucers: A Modern Myth of Things Seen in the Skies would be published two years after the letter was sent, which was also two years before he died. 3

Jung’s approach to UFOs was binary. Although “the psychological aspect is so impressive, that one almost must regret that UFOs seem to be real after all,” his extensive research led him to conclude there was “no certainty about their very nature.” He reserved judgment as to whether or not the preponderance of UFO sightings meant that spacecrafts had actually visited Earth, manned or operated by extraterrestrial beings from other planets. Jung found “overwhelming material pointing to their legendary or mythological aspect,” suggesting the very concept of UFOs left an indelible mark on the human psyche. In Flying Saucers, Jung wrote:

In the threatening situation of the world today, when people are beginning to see that everything is at stake, the projection-creating fantasy soars beyond the realm of earthly organizations and powers into the heavens, into interstellar space, where the rulers of human fate, the gods, once had their abode in the planets…. Even people who would never have thought that a religious problem could be a serious matter that concerned them personally are beginning to ask themselves fundamental questions. Under these circumstances it would not be at all surprising if those sections of the community who ask themselves nothing were visited by visions,' by a widespread myth seriously believed in by some and rejected as absurd by others.
Swann is auctioning the letter this week, which it estimates to be worth $2,000-3,000.00, as part of its three-day "Autographs" auction in New York City.

thanks for posting this chris. I am not so much interested in debating the existence or nonexistence of the phenomena as much as I am studying the field from a sociological aspect, that is what iit does to our belief system and how we react emotionally when confronted by things we can't readily explain and the reaction from others that don't necessarily share the other persons opinion.

although that doesn't mean we should refrain from asking why a person feels a certain way, there's a difference.

Jung is an underrated figure in the history of mankind's long climb to enlightenment. He managed to maintain one foot grounded in science and the other in the esoteric mystery of human consciousness. His take on the reality of ufos is hard to sound-bite, but he did not see them as hallucinations. My takeaway is that he believed them to be the result of a kind of "handshake" between the human unconscious and nature's reaction to it. Thanks for the post !

Jung is an underrated figure in the history of mankind's long climb to enlightenment. He managed to maintain one foot grounded in science and the other in the esoteric mystery of human consciousness. His take on the reality of ufos is hard to sound-bite, but he did not see them as hallucinations. My takeaway is that he believed them to be the result of a kind of "handshake" between the human unconscious and nature's reaction to it. Thanks for the post !

I had always thought it was just some old guy commenting on his perception of the failing youth in modern society.
Only recently have I come to realize the true meaning of the expression,
"Those damned Jungians!"
and indeed, although I tend to empathize with that statement,
I must admit that if I had the choice of which character to play, I think Jung's was more ... dynamic ...

It is really one of those "must see" films.

Ufology, the film sounds interesting and wondering if Netflix has it? Both Freud and Jung, unfortunately, have trailed behind them a kind of benign cult following. Freud would have no truck with the esoteric side of reality, while Jung embraced it. Don't know if the film is accurate. But the deep and unfortunate animosity between the two great men was apparently quite real. I used to know a lady whose aunt was one of Jung's caretakers in his later years. She would occasionally pass along an interesting tidbit or two.

Back