• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Illustrations from my first UFO book - 1979

Free episodes:

I love the illustrations. A couple weeks ago I came across references to a book by George Smith (writing under the name Jan Hudson) called Those Sexy Saucer People. It was written in 1967 and described the Aura Rhanes story and other contactee accounts. I was developing a collection at the time, but somehow missed this one. It had interesting cover art, which is why my parents would not have approved - and why I will not post the illustration here. The cheapest copy I can now find is $250, which my wife won't approve for that reason - although the cover could also factor into it.

I can't remember the first book I had. At some point I had an original edition of Ruppelt's Report on Unidentified Flying Objects, NICAP's UFO Evidence, Fuller's book on the Hills, and a lot of others. Probably an Adamski book. I do not remember any with such great art.

At some point, while I was at school, my mother gave the books away to someone interested in the subject. She did something similar with my baseball card collection that went back long before I was born - I probably got a lot of the cards from someone else's mother. I can't really complain although I regretted it then and now. At the time, I believed more in the revolution than in flying objects. Now I am not so sure about either. I just wish I had gotten a copy of the saucer book and kept it hidden for the cover art.
That's great. Thanks for sharing :) There are a lot more terrific illustrations in that one book of mine. My two daughters flip through it now and again (they're 7 & 9). But I do not think they are drawn to the subject like I was when I was their age.

Normally i agree with your positions on cases but the Kelly-Hopkinsville goblins are deserving of much more than what the Iron Skeptic offers. While it is definitely true that this case's details have grown over time, this article is also taking liberties by editing elements out. No evidence of a hoax was found, there were shell casings from their firings found (not hundreds) with moderate damage to the home, neighbors were spoken to and they also saw odd lights in the sky and heard the shots, a luminescent patch from where the first creature was hit and fell was evident that night on the ground and could not be explained, the sounds of ammunition striking these creatures sounded like metal balls rattling around in a barrel, investigators recognized the family who was not prone to making stuff up were legitimately disturbed by something outside their experience - definitely not owls that's for sure, though owls is the best possible debunking explanation given the evidence and descriptions. The escaped circus monkeys explanation never panned out and would they really return to a place of violence? There were some type of creatures not deterred by violence that wanted to get up close and personal not once but twice. It's still a good and perplexing case from the commonality of the drawings alone and the police response & estimation of the witnesses. It's an outlier case that received its due attention at the time, indicating the story had real legs and could not be relegated to hoax status.

Normally i agree with your positions on cases but the Kelly-Hopkinsville goblins are deserving of much more than what the Iron Skeptic offers. While it is definitely true that this case's details have grown over time, this article is also taking liberties by editing elements out. No evidence of a hoax was found, there were shell casings from their firings found (not hundreds) with moderate damage to the home, neighbors were spoken to and they also saw odd lights in the sky and heard the shots, a luminescent patch from where the first creature was hit and fell was evident that night on the ground and could not be explained, the sounds of ammunition striking these creatures sounded like metal balls rattling around in a barrel, investigators recognized the family who was not prone to making stuff up were legitimately disturbed by something outside their experience - definitely not owls that's for sure, though owls is the best possible debunking explanation given the evidence and descriptions. The escaped circus monkeys explanation never panned out and would they really return to a place of violence? There were some type of creatures not deterred by violence that wanted to get up close and personal not once but twice. It's still a good and perplexing case from the commonality of the drawings alone and the police response & estimation of the witnesses. It's an outlier case that received its due attention at the time, indicating the story had real legs and could not be relegated to hoax status.
One bit of extra information that I never knew about until yesterday, is that there is a section of Project Blue Book that I saw that put's this case under the "Hoax" category. I guess it depends on how accurate we want to take the writings of PBB. I myself found that interesting. And after looking at some additional information yesterday (including some of what B.S. offered) I'd have to reconsider Hopkinsville. It seems something genuine terrified these folks. Now what that was, I'm not sure. But it seems to just but all eliminate the hoax theory.

BTW - it looks like this book (the one that the OP is about) is available used, hardcover on Amazon for like $2.13 UFOs: The greatest mystery: Hilary Evans: 9780861360758: Amazon.com: Books

Maybe. Apart from some of the newer books, i have been concentrating on the old contactee material. But I like the art and the price is right.

I mentioned to my wife again that I found Those Sexy Saucer People on Amazon for only $250 - which I think is a good deal since My Saturnian Lover is priced at $398. But I don't think either are to be. But $2.13?

Back