• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

U.F.O. poll

The acronym U.F.O. means ...

• A Flying Saucer

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Free episodes:

I was thinking the same thing. Hmmmm. Maybe I should post another poll. "You think UFOs are:" Aliens, ghosts, bigfoot buses, misidentified natural objects, mental aberrations, or some combination thereof.

You should. ;)

Your handle reminds me of that astronomer/former USAF officer/pseudo-skeptic in Arizona - Dr. James McGaha. Apparently (if I heard him correctly), the only truly "trained" observers on this planet are him and whoever agrees with him.

He's also very fond of the debunker tactic of calling UFOs "alien spacecraft" from the very first of the discussion, irregardless of who he's debating; or what they are claiming. I know Stanton Friedman and James Fox have both had run-ins with him on Larry King's program.

Every time I see that... gentleman, I want to fly to AZ to find him & smack him upside the head a few times. Gently, of course, I'd hate to crack his skull and then have to fill out all that paperwork. Apparently he's also never heard of Dr. Sturrock.

We are now returning you to the regularly scheduled discussion.

The "Trained Observer" username is a bit of a Ufological joke. In UFO literature references are often made about the lack of any "trained observers" around when UFOs show up. As far as training goes, I'm trained to operate the remote, program the DVR, and observe the results. I do not consider myself "a researcher", "an authority", or anything other than a UFO buff.

The "Trained Observer" username is a bit of a Ufological joke. In UFO literature references are often made about the lack of any "trained observers" around when UFOs show up. As far as training goes, I'm trained to operate the remote, program the DVR, and observe the results.

Yep. When people ask me what musical instrument I play, my answer is "The stereo". Although I have a moderately decent singing voice.

Where did you get the comic clip for the avatar? I'd love to see the rest of it!

Yep. When people ask me what musical instrument I play, my answer is "The stereo". Although I have a moderately decent singing voice.

Where did you get the comic clip for the avatar? I'd love to see the rest of it!

It's from the 1976 Gold Key Comic UFO Flying Saucers Issue 11. The story was called "Pied Pipers from Another World." written by Pat Forunato. It seems to be a riff on the Applewhite cult. Instead of Bo and Do he uses "Him" and "Her". It opens with "Since April, 1975, at least 100 people from 7 states have disappeared without a trace! They claimed to be leaving earth on a secret UFO lead by two super humans. Are these people the victims of a terrifying hoax? Or have they fallen prey to -Pied Pipers from Another World!

It's from the 1976 Gold Key Comic UFO Flying Saucers Issue 11. The story was called "Pied Pipers from Another World." written by Pat Forunato. It seems to be a riff on the Applewhite cult. Instead of Bo and Do he uses "Him" and "Her". It opens with "Since April, 1975, at least 100 people from 7 states have disappeared without a trace! They claimed to be leaving earth on a secret UFO lead by two super humans. Are these people the victims of a terrifying hoax? Or have they fallen prey to -Pied Pipers from Another World!
Ok, that must be quite a prophetic writer from Gold Key as the idea of leaving earth on the space ship in the comet wasn't somehing designed by Bo, or Do, till near the end of the cult's big bang and mass suicide no? Sounds to me like this comic writer was in contact with higher powers to be able to construct such a story so reflective of an unknown future.

Ok, that must be quite a prophetic writer from Gold Key as the idea of leaving earth on the space ship in the comet wasn't somehing designed by Bo, or Do, till near the end of the cult's big bang and mass suicide no? Sounds to me like this comic writer was in contact with higher powers to be able to construct such a story so reflective of an unknown future.

I think Bo and Do's message was more or less the same from the start, it just got weirder and weirder, ending in the Hale-Bopp thing. Whoever was writing the Gold-Key series drew heavily on UFO folklore and cases of the time. In later issues, when they ran out of cases I guess, they did more "what ifs" and purely fictional stories.

Back