• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

What Happened to Night Ship 282????

Free episodes:

If only we were professionals! :)

It's that thing about the way the light of the DC-10 passed in front of him and tripled in size that seems most convincing to me to show this as a cause.

Visibility was good between layers but the report makes it clear that this all went wrong as he entered the cloud layer.

The actual distances aren't important if the pilot doesn't believe them. The point isn't that the planes were ACTUALLY in danger of colliding, just that the Cessna pilot believed that they were.

A fairly recent incident in the news had a pilot making a sudden maneuver to avoid Venus! There is good evidence that pilots do get disoriented in this way.

Best,

Lance

Lance,
So it would seem logical........well after a little reading about spatial disorientation, I'm starting to lean that way as well....now I can see your point more clearly though I'm not totally convinced just yet......thanks for your input.
http://www.faa.gov/pilots/safety/pilotsafetybrochures/media/SpatialD_VisIllus.pdf

An interesting case, for sure. Take whatever can go wrong in the air under visual conditions and square that number for flying on instruments. Maybe I missed it, but I recall them saying what the red substance was not, but not what it was. One would think a lab analysis would at least put this question to rest--or maybe I just missed that point.

The impact of the collision all but vaporized the 208's (file photo of type, above) engine.
Is this unusual? I think so. But I'm just a garden variety aviation buff. One would think the engine to be a part of the airframe most likely to survive in one piece. But dunno.

Collision with a drone is a possibility, official denials notwithstanding. This doesn't meant it was the cause, just not to be ruled out. And one would expect the military to quietly clean up a classified "situation" with a much faster reaction time than any civilian response. But this is sheer speculation. At any rate, it sounds as if the pilot was startled by unexpected factors, either on his instrument panel or something visual.

there will be more drone accidents and more cover-ups, just like it takes 10 years of probing and enquiries after fishing boats sink without warning on flat calm seas, always the enquiries always the wreckage but never the fault of submarines, not until a whistleblower lifts the lid, then its yes it was one of our subs, but we could not reveal that for operational/security reasons, drone collisions will be no different.

Back