• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Do UFO's cause human injury?

Free episodes:

Burnt State

Paranormal Adept
This is a spin-off of the Cash/Landrum discussion as it struck me that in the history of UFO encounters there never seems to be very much human injury or direct physical interference with our persons. Only the Michalak Falcon Lake incident and Valentich Disappearance case point to these possibilities. Abductions have limited if any proof. Pilots who chase lights in the sky with tragic results do so of their own accord. Human mutilation stories appear to be hoaxed or fraudulent in nature. The Valentich case is unresolved, and Michalak recovered enough from his patterned exhaust burn to return to scout for evidence at the sighting location.

If UFO's are not directly injuring humans, though they seem to have immense capacity for power and might, then what does this say about the phenomenon? Are they taking care not to hurt us? Are they more insubstantial than substance? And does that mean when we have significant violence i.e. the Cash/Landrum event, that this is an indicator of human terrestrial involvement as opposed to ET?

Please see
UFO-Related Human Physiological Effects by John F. Schuessler (incomplete version)

Scribd has the entire (I hope) book in PDF form, and it goes well past the 1950s:
Schuessler - UFO-Related Human Physiological Effects (1996)

Warning: many of the cases he cites are from very shaky sources, and there are a few that are suspected to be hoaxes or total fabrications, esp. some of the South America cases. Still, this is an excellent resource for anyone wanting to explore the topic.

(Edited to add Scribd link)

Please see
UFO-Related Human Physiological Effects by John F. Schuessler
Warning: many of the cases he cites are from very shaky sources, and there are a few that are suspected to be hoaxes or total fabrications, esp. some of the South America cases. Still, this is an excellent resource for anyone wanting to explore the topic.
At first glance, looking through the case studies he lists, I'm confused as to why the cases only are taken from 19th century reports up to the 1950's. All the abduction examination pieces I discount quickly but am fascinated by the one where the alien supposedly slapped the man and left him up in a tree.

You're right about the shaky sources here which makes these difficult to take any value from them as these tend to fall into the category of twice told tales. If it was printed once (i.e. Shaver/Palmer) or posted once on the net it can be restated ad repeated ad auseum without much real verifiabe meat to the story. I blame podcasts and UFO forums for these UFO myths.

There are other problems with some of these reports i.e. the Creswell case where the incident is not reported till 40 years later - it's very difficult to prove physical injury in this case but it's pretty easy to repeat. Many of his cases fall into this weak evidentiary category. That's my overall problem with Schuessler's document - there is a whole lot of detailed, scientific preamble based on some pretty weak evidence.

not sure how the Brazil Guarapiranga mutilation case was followed up. That looked nasty . Also, there was a strange shock-induced blindness case in Brazil I read of, can't seem to locate it now. Essentially , a security guard was found distressed waving his gun at a patch of earth, where he had earlier met a landed ufo.Don't know if his sight returned .

They must be generally benign though, because otherwise there would be much greater interest shown by the authorities.

still, don't fancy meeting one on my own to find out ! sadly, though we don't need to look off-earth to find callous creatures acting with reckless indifference to human life !

not saying that ET visitors couldn't be malevolent but it's a really nice question this...overall , I think the lack of harm isn't indicating a lack of substance as such but evidence of higher technology . Like our experience with autos and aircraft , just keep getting safer, nuclear fission a bit messy and dangerous , nuclear fusion clean and safe !

Enough opportunities must have arisen by now though for us to have seen a lot more cases of injury by now so if we are indeed regularly visited by ETs they must be culturally more inclined to be protective of their study subjects than humans ever were.

I'm trying not to derail the conversation by mentioning this, but the movie Close Encounters was kind of a copy-and-paste job of several genuine UFO cases. You may remember the "sunburn" by the witnesses in the movie. That was based on events reported in a least two incidents, neither of them "A-list" cases.
One of the most famous early injury cases was the minor burns suffered by D.S. “Sonny” DesVergers in the 1952 Florida "Scoutmaster" case. That case is puzzling- the hat and body burns can be explained as self-inflicted, but Project Blue Book could not explain the anomalous grass burns from the roots up!

If I recall correctly there was a Florida Scoutmaster back in the early 1950s who encountered a UFO that did something like shoot a beam or ball of fire or something that knocked him out.

Nov 20 1957 falcon lake canada a man was burned by a ufo...grill marks was on his chest!

Na that was in May '67. Stringfield mentioned a South American guy who was literally melted by a UFO. Back around '78 someone in the UK soon died after being zapped by a queer big humanoid, the next year saw the Taylor case. But these weren't much compared to Moncla, Louette and Colares.

Pilots who chase lights in the sky with tragic results do so of their own accord.

First Moncla was under orders and I'm not sure Mantell was in control of his actions just before he died. His wingmen gave up but he kept going despite his experience.....It wouldn't be the only instance where humans were controlled by the phenomenon.

not saying that ET visitors couldn't be malevolent but it's a really nice question this...overall , I think the lack of harm isn't indicating a lack of substance as such but evidence of higher technology . Like our experience with autos and aircraft , just keep getting safer, nuclear fission a bit messy and dangerous , nuclear fusion clean and safe !

Enough opportunities must have arisen by now though for us to have seen a lot more cases of injury by now so if we are indeed regularly visited by ETs they must be culturally more inclined to be protective of their study subjects than humans ever were.

Beyond safety, and despite the last episode's two big proponents of the two big "crashes," Roswell and Aztec (the third being Kecksburg, whatever it might have been), there seems do be an impeccable control over the objects that move more deftly than just a young gun operator dripping with dragstrip courage. They just don't crash into us, attack or leave much in the way of long lasting, intentional injury.

Even if there was only indifference on behalf of the UFO I would expect way more definitive, concrete examples of trace evidence that looked something more like the Cash/Landrum event. Does this mean we can ascribe a sense of the 'benign' to the phenomenon, or do they actually care enough not to intentionally harm us, or our property, in any real significant manner, especially given their awesome power?

Na that was in May '67. Stringfield mentioned a South American guy who was literally melted by a UFO. Back around '78 someone in the UK soon died after being zapped by a queer big humanoid, the next year saw the Taylor case. But these weren't much compared to Moncla, Louette and Colares.

First Moncla was under orders and I'm not sure Mantell was in control of his actions just before he died. His wingmen gave up but he kept going despite his experience.....It wouldn't be the only instance where humans were controlled by the phenomenon.

Those earlier, human melting cases, and that weird Northern Europe encounter between two men and two sparkly jumpsuited, beam toting, dwarfish aliens that paralyzed the two men with a beam that left them quite ill for a very long time - all of these suspiciously lack real documentation.

Why do you feel that these pilots were controlled by the phenomenon vs. indivudual curiosity and amazement?

Nov 20 1957 falcon lake canada a man was burned by a ufo...grill marks was on his chest!
Yup, that was highlighted at the start of the thread - it's one of my top cases and it was May 20, 1967. But after being grilled he continued to search out after the original site and survived and thrived. Despite some months of illness, he went on for another 31 years. He died at the ripe old age of 83! While his case was one of the few strong examples IMHO it had no real serious consequences, and was more of the direct result of human error, after all, who stands right beside the exhaust pipe of a UFO just before take off? Silly rabbit, that Michalak.

michalak.jpg

This is a spin-off of the Cash/Landrum discussion as it struck me that in the history of UFO encounters there never seems to be very much human injury or direct physical interference with our persons.

Check up Operation Saucer (1977) and chapter "Lethal Impact" from Vallee's book "Confrontations".

Those earlier, human melting cases, and that weird Northern Europe encounter between two men and two sparkly jumpsuited, beam toting, dwarfish aliens that paralyzed the two men with a beam that left them quite ill for a very long time - all of these suspiciously lack real documentation.

AFAIK certain mutilation cases, and Colares etc are documented.

Why do you feel that these pilots were controlled by the phenomenon vs. indivudual curiosity and amazement?

Because of training and experience. Surprisingly, and suspiciously IMO, Mantel kept going to his death even after wingmen called it quits.

Electronic Parasitic Objects (EPO) could one way to describe the encounters of some folks when come face to face with these unknown paranormal incidents which leaves some folks drained.

I'm trying not to derail the conversation by mentioning this, but the movie Close Encounters was kind of a copy-and-paste job of several genuine UFO cases. You may remember the "sunburn" by the witnesses in the movie. That was based on events reported in a least two incidents, neither of them "A-list" cases.
One of the most famous early injury cases was the minor burns suffered by D.S. “Sonny” DesVergers in the 1952 Florida "Scoutmaster" case. That case is puzzling- the hat and body burns can be explained as self-inflicted, but Project Blue Book could not explain the anomalous grass burns from the roots up!
If I recall correctly there was a Florida Scoutmaster back in the early 1950s who encountered a UFO that did something like shoot a beam or ball of fire or something that knocked him out.
Yes, the scoutmaster case is a fascinating one and very similar to Michalak at Facon Lake where human being stands near exhaust system and gets fried. Doesn't sound malevolent at all on behalf of UFO occupants but the Colares incident appears to be a different story...

AFAIK certain mutilation cases, and Colares etc are documented.

i'm pretty sure the only person going on about human mutilation is Witkowski and his faked credentials took his credibility and threw it all in the trash.

as for COLARES: this is a totally fascinating string of investigation. i remembered a little about Confrontations and went back and did a reread of Lethal Impact as suggested by uforadio above. i also explored other documentation and reports around the Colares incident specifically, which is a real kettle of fish to be certain. here are the salient features that i took from some reading this morning:

• there's definitely an ongoing phenomenon in out of the way regions in Brazil called the Chupa (sucker - as in people claim that their blood is being sucked out by the light, and then after this they are 'ruined' or that their blood sample is being 'sent to the Americans'). part of this phenomenon includes strange ships of various sizes, descriptions and lights sending out beams of light that induce paralysis at the site, nausea, disorientation, some vomiting etc.; sometimes puncture marks are associated with the beams of light - sometimes one puncture, other times two holes
  • these cases have been reported in an ongoing manner for so long that they have moved into the territory of mythos and remind me a lot of both Vampire stories and the Chupacabra tales, where rural folk experience unique, possibly prosaic, events and then lodge these as part of the Chupa mythos of UFO's with paralyzing light beams.
  • the primary doctor involved as the source for documenting the light wounds, health effects and even two deaths has a lot of problems with her story. she's only 22 years old at the time of documenting these events (some say 24 but either way i don't see how you can become a doctor at 22 and be able to confirm what's taking place); the number of patients cited go from 4, to 35 (Vallee) to 40, 80 and then one source says over 100 patients were seen by her; these incidents took place in 1977, but only in 1993 does she make the claim that two people died from these events that she personally drove in her car to a hospital and then received death certificates for. i find her testimony to be problematic.
  • Vallee's sources in the Lethal Impact chapter rely heavily on independent locals who are conducting their own off the cuff investigations and many of these are retold stories with very few incidents getting documented on paper, no photos, no proper primary source interviews etc. In one instance Vallee cites a rumoured story told by a young boy of a whole African village being burned near Narobi but there is nothing to substantiate it beyond his story.
  • Vallee himself identifies that gastroenteritis is one of the leading causes of death in the country and light beam victims display similar symptoms
  • the deaths that Vallee cites are not about UFO's being malevolent but most often are about people doing things themselves related to UFO's i.e. wanting to commune with higher beings and taking bizarre substances or even starving themselves in the woods and dying from dehydration because they wanted so desperately to be a contactee
So what I took from this read was that Vallee himself is not always so academic, but is also a collector of enough "stories" with enough minor confirmations of his "Confrontations" to make you scratch your head. Certainly the light beams seem to be fascinating enough and consistent enough that in 1977 a lot of various agencies descended on the region to investigate, yet there is only one photo i found online that showed a puncture mark? For such a supposedly well documented incident there is little proof and a lot of confabulation that has taken place decades later. Two puncture marks sounds like snake to me, others sounded like lightening, could be spiders - i'm not sure, but these remote region tales definitely point to the impact of folklore and mythology on an uneducated, populous that may already have tendencies towards supernatural explanations for prosaic events. At least that's what the witness accounts sound like.

At the same time, the great number of reports of people getting hit by beams of light, specifically beams that penetrated structures and homes to hit people, is highly curious and worthy of critical thought. If we are to take the health effects as accurate (none of which died - at least not with any proof of the beam as the cause) it is suspicious, as the entire Colares event, from another perspective, looks very much like the equivalent of biologists tagging animal specimens in the wild.

I would count the Colares event as an example of ET displaying indifference to our plight, not maliciousness, in the same way that biologists in the field worry more about their own skin than the animal's.

p.s. Confrontations is on slideshare along with a great number of UFO classics:
Jacques Vallee - Confrontations - A Scientist's Search for Alien Co...

I just ran across this, part garbage, but at least they talk with witnesses and contemporaries.
Also, they say the clip is from a government film, but isn't that from the theatrical film, Unidentified Flying Objects?

yes, those clips definitely are from that movie and that's where i agree with the 'part garbage' part as ideas like 'history' or 'facts' get confused by dramatizations, retold tales and these types of edits that weave together so many different elements that the whole mess moves back towards urban myth. it is the plague of the field that there is never much in the way of critical factual spaces that highlight reality over supposition.

in that regard you are to be highly commended for your work at Blue Blurry Lines - it's one of the very few UFO related online spaces that really does a thorough and critical job of exploring a specific case. i wish there were more websites like yours for other unique cases so that we had some real benchmarks to work with. will you be turning all your research into a book or are you going to move on and tackle another case next? the gathering of large volumes of focussed evidence is probably the best way we can make any accurate estimates of what is taking place from case to case.

here's the original flick:

Back