• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Official funny stuff

Free episodes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no frickin' way! You have GOT to tell me the truth. Was that turtle REALLY at your front door? BTW, two of the CUTEST turtles I have ever seen. What kind are they?The shell looks similar to a box turtle, but the necks are longer and the eyes are just too cool. I have a painted turtle that my daughter found in our back yard. He was about the size of a quarter .25 piece when she found him. He spent the remainder of that summer in a wash tub and then was moved inside in the fall. His name is Splash, that was 4 years ago and he's now considerably bigger than a softball.

Yes, its a true story.
I have this very old antique electric organ, and they lived in a tank on top of it, i guess they ended up associating the sound with food, since i often fed them after playing it.
Once we were sure they were old enough to stand hibernation we moved them to the big pond in the front yard.(this species has a high mortality rate in the first 2 years of life during winter hibernation)

I hadnt played the organ in months and sure enough within 10 mins of playing one of them was at the front door.
Even today if i go up to the pond and say Turtle turtle turtle in a deep voice they will poke their heads up and swim towards me

There is a wild turtle in the pond whos about 5 times bigger and he doesnt react that way he goes straight to the bottom if he see's me. But these two remember me and will come and say hello

Edit: They are eastern long necked turtles, very common here

Last edited by a moderator:
funny_picdump_132_640_12.jpg

Yes, its a true story.
I have this very old antique electric organ, and they lived in a tank on top of it, i guess they ended up associating the sound with food, since i often fed them after playing it.
Once we were sure they were old enough to stand hibernation we moved them to the big pond in the front yard.(this species has a high mortality rate in the first 2 years of life during winter hibernation)

I hadnt played the organ in months and sure enough within 10 mins of playing one of them was at the front door.
Even today if i go up to the pond and say Turtle turtle turtle in a deep voice they will poke their heads up and swim towards me

There is a wild turtle in the pond whos about 5 times bigger and he doesnt react that way he goes straight to the bottom if he see's me. But these two remember me and will come and say hello

Absolutely AMAZING!! Could be my favorite turtle story ever, not that I am endless catalog of them, but COOL. I still would love to know what kind of turtles those are. Possibly long neck sliders. However I do not know my turtles taxonomically in the least. Turtles IMO are extremely misunderstood. Brilliant creatures that drip with personality, no pun intended. Splash is so spastic about eating, that's why I named him that due to his over eager reaction to food. He lives in a 35 gallon long aquarium and I can't lift the lid without water flying out everywhere if he thinks it's time to eat. The water is only half way up the tank's sides due to his amphibious nature. He's a nut case.

Back to the funny stuff,

crazy-turtle-cartoon-comic.gif

Absolutely AMAZING!! Could be my favorite turtle story ever, not that I am endless catalog of them, but COOL. I still would love to know what kind of turtles those are. Possibly long neck sliders. However I do not know my turtles taxonomically in the least. Turtles IMO are extremely misunderstood. Brilliant creatures that drip with personality, no pun intended. Splash is so spastic about eating, that's why I named him that due to his over eager reaction to food. He lives in a 35 gallon long aquarium and I can't lift the lid without water flying out everywhere if he thinks it's time to eat. The water is only half way up the tank's sides due to his amphibious nature. He's a nut case.

Back to the funny stuff,

crazy-turtle-cartoon-comic.gif
Sorry Jeff they are Eastern long necked turtles, and i can identify with the splash story, ours did the same, that first pic of him smiling is in the tank and gives an idea of how engaged they were with us.
We were a bit sad when we set them free, but that was always the plan, and they have doubled in size since moving to the big pond, so we know it was the right thing to do. And of course the fact that they still remember us and will say hello when we are up there is a bonus.
We now have a juvenile eastern water dragon, who moved into our side pond which runs up the side of our house, he's well and truly moved in and is fairly tame too. i can get with a few feet of him and he really doesnt care, just looks back at me cool as a cucumber

Sorry Jeff they are Eastern long necked turtles, and i can identify with the splash story, ours did the same, that first pic of him smiling is in the tank and gives an idea of how engaged they were with us.
We were a bit sad when we set them free, but that was always the plan, and they have doubled in size since moving to the big pond, so we know it was the right thing to do. And of course the fact that they still remember us and will say hello when we are up there is a bonus.
We now have a juvenile eastern water dragon, who moved into our side pond which runs up the side of our house, he's well and truly moved in and is fairly tame too. i can get with a few feet of him and he really doesnt care, just looks back at me cool as a cucumber

Mike,
That's too cool. You are referring to the Oz water dragon, correct? The Agamids are really a cool lizard type. Very big in the pet trade at one time, however it's only the green one's, or Chinese Water Dragon, that get sold in these parts. The Asian herptiles of which I kept both Chinese Water Dragon, and what was the biggest and most nasty escape artist I ever had the pleasure of owning. An Asian Water Monitor. Had teeth like razor blades, claws like a BIG cat, and a nervous disposition to match. Only meaner reptile I ever met was Tiggy the Tegu which was one mean reptile and simply could not be tamed. She was happy though, although she'd just as soon tear your tonsils out as to look at you. Australia's stuff up until the captive breeding programs such as those involved with the bearded dragons, has been sadly off limits to the yanks for many a moon now. Oz and Madagascar, New Guinea, possibly the Galapagos, Timor, and some of the Indonesian Islands, contain the rarest and most amazingly beautiful wildlife on yee old planet. My personal favorite is South America. Now *that's* some strange and truly wonderful goings on. What a beautiful neck of the turtle, er, rather I mean woods, you live in however. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back