• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

The Official Paracast Political Thread! — Part Three

Free episodes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
It strikes me that the dragon that has been wakened is the one humanity has had to deal with from time immemorial, from Rome to Medieval times, for example. It's pretty primitive: I will do as I want, say as I want, no matter the consequences to anyone else. Why? Because I can, because I have power, money, status - or presume I have such. This is what passes for 'freedom' in some people's view - when all it really is - is petulant toddler pride wrapped in ignorance. Sad, really.

The alt-right isn’t only about white supremacy. It’s about white male supremacy.
LINK:
The alt-right isn’t only about white supremacy. It’s about white male supremacy.
TEXT: "Richard Spencer, the man who coined the term 'alt-right', and his supporters, some employing the Nazi salute, gathered in the nation’s capital, just blocks from Trump’s future residence. The loosely organized group, launched with a blog about six years ago, aims to create a white ethno state that would outlaw minorities — and force women into domestic roles.

"While the group is typically defined by its racist views, sexism also is central to its ideology. In their world, men would rule, Spencer told The Washington Post, and women would serve as their homemakers.

"The alt-right received little attention until Trump thrust Bannon into power. Spencer estimates just a fifth of his supporters are women, though the number visible in the audience as he spoke at the group's D.C. conference appeared far smaller. They're drawn to the lot, he told Rolling Stone last month, to find mates with 'alpha genes' and 'alpha sperm.'

"Alt-right blogger Matt Forney argued that, in the movement, women 'are sideshows, not the main act. Trying to 'appeal' to women is an exercise in pointlessness,' Forney wrote. 'The alt-right’s focus should be on recruiting young men, the fuel of revolution. Once the tide begins to turn, women will flock. ... Don’t get me wrong: it’s not that women should be unwelcome, it’s that they’re unimportant.'

"Cas Mudde, a Dutch political scientist who studies political extremism, said nationalist groups worldwide tend to harbor old-school sexist views, largely because they believe a woman's top priority should be creating and raising more of them. But the idea that women are morally and intellectually inferior to men, a common theme on alt-right blogs, stems from fear, he said. 'It’s a sexist interpretation of xenophobia,' Mudde said. 'It’s the same view they have of immigrants and minorities, that they’re threatening their way of life. A life where men are dominant. A life where they have privilege in virtually every domain.'

"During the first presidential debate this year, Spencer tweeted, 'Women should never be allowed to make foreign policy. It's not that they're 'weak.' To the contrary, their vindictiveness knows no bounds.'

"He told reporters this week that Trump’s proposed Muslim ban and border wall energized the alt-right. The group also revels in the president-elect’s rejection of 'political correctness.' He can say things like 'grab them by the p----y,' for example, and still reach America’s highest office.

"Trump, however, condemned the alt-right to the New York Times. 'It's not a group I want to energize,' he said. “And if they are energized I want to look into it and find out why.'

"He continues to defend Bannon, whose rise has sparked outrage from both Democrats and Republicans. Critics point to court records in which Bannon's ex-wife reported that he struck her and, at another time, told her their kids would not attend school 'with Jews.'

"Bannon, the former chairman of Breitbart, a right-wing news outlet, presided over the website as it published such headlines as “Birth Control Makes Women Unattractive and Crazy,” “Hoist It High and Proud: A Confederate Flag Proclaims a Glorious Heritage” and “Would You Rather Your Child Have Feminism or Cancer?”

"Comparing feminism to cancer, of course, is the kind of content designed to generate lucrative hate-clicks. The alt-right’s mockery of female advancement, however, is nothing new. Neither is the group’s apparent discomfort with it. 'Women seem an expanding, aggressive force, seizing new domains like a conquering army,' the Harvard historian Arthur Schlesinger Jr. wrote in a 1958 essay for Esquire, 'while men, more and more on the defensive, are hardly able to hold their own and gratefully accept assignments from their new rulers.' He was talking about wives trickling into the workforce and husbands questioning their roles.

"Schlesinger Jr.’s thesis was hyperbolic. Though women were gaining power, men weren’t losing theirs. Male leaders at the time dominated the upper ranks of business, politics and academia. In fact, they still do."

Last edited:
you are better than this arrogant comment Randle....
Arrogance applies to those who assign themselves a high degree of importance. I'm not doing that. I'm not all that important to the scheme of things in this world. US presidents however are, and I'm assigning a high degree of importance to not voting for the greater evil in those choices. This is entirely rational. Nobody is perfect and therefore everyone except the amoral are to some degree evil, which means every vote will be about voting for the lesser of two evils, and in contrast to Trump, Hillary looks like Mother freakin' Theresa.

the millions of dollars being campaigned to be able to do the recount could feed the needy...
Any idea just how many millions? Of course if it's discovered that there was actually interference in the election by some espionage ( or whatever ), maybe the expense would be worth it to uncover it. Either way it's a mess. But who knows? Like Chomsky says, the only thing about Trump that is predictable is his unpredictability, so maybe he'll fumble his way through all this and come out smelling like roses instead of the alternative. Interesting times no matter what view you take.

The EC makes zero sense.
I'm under the impression that the EC is intended to level the playing field somewhat for areas disadvantaged by a disparity in representation. Apparently there are those who think that the rationale for that is incoherent, and they may be right. But at the same time I'm not entirely convinced that the EC makes "zero sense". It would seem to make some sense, but I'm not sure whether it should be enough to justify it as it is presently structured.

the millions of dollars being campaigned to be able to do the recount could feed the needy...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Good.

Perhaps it will be a good lesson to learn that they should have been counted by hand in the first place.

I'm under the impression that the EC is intended to level the playing field somewhat for areas disadvantaged by a disparity in representation. Apparently there are those who think that the rationale for that is incoherent, and they may be right. But at the same time I'm not entirely convinced that the EC makes "zero sense". It would seem to make some sense, but I'm not sure whether it should be enough to justify it as it is presently structured.
That was it's intention.

But it never worked.

Notwithstanding the founders’ efforts, the electoral college system almost never functioned as they intended, but, as with so many constitutional provisions, the document prescribed only the system’s basic elements, leaving ample room for development. As the republic evolved, so did the electoral college system, and, by the late 19 century, the th following range of constitutional, federal and state legal, and political elements of the contemporary system were in place.

There are ways to fix or scrap it.

Might as well just go do it.

controversial history of the electoral college

Nobody likes this video in the Is Edward Snowden dead? thread? If there were any "must see" recent interviews, this is IMO one of them. It takes a little time for it to get running smoothly, but once it does, the stuff Snowden says is something that people who care about their rights, not simply privacy rights, but rights in general, should care about.

Arrogance applies to those who assign themselves a high degree of importance. I'm not doing that. I'm not all that important to the scheme of things in this world. US presidents however are, and I'm assigning a high degree of importance to not voting for the greater evil in those choices. This is entirely rational. Nobody is perfect and therefore everyone except the amoral are to some degree evil, which means every vote will be about voting for the lesser of two evils, and in contrast to Trump, Hillary looks like Mother freakin' Theresa.
i doubt Mother Teresa was pro abortion or an advocate for the LGBT community....
Any idea just how many millions? Of course if it's discovered that there was actually interference in the election by some espionage ( or whatever ), maybe the expense would be worth it to uncover it. Either way it's a mess. But who knows? Like Chomsky says, the only thing about Trump that is predictable is his unpredictability, so maybe he'll fumble his way through all this and come out smelling like roses instead of the alternative. Interesting times no matter what view you take.

Speaking of religion, Jerry Falwell Jr., (the creationist), was selected by the new pres. to act as education secretary. The good news is; even Falwell is unable to stomach Trump.

Falwell meets with Trump to talk education

As it is God’s will, Trump will be known as the antiscience president. Who needs the scientific method when educators can just make stuff up to fit any religious agenda?

Antiscience Beliefs Jeopardize U.S. Democracy

Last edited by a moderator:
Just FYI: I heard from Jeff Davis the other day complaining when I deleted one or two of his messages. As I told him, we reserve the right to remove messages that violate the Terms of Service, such as personal attacks against members.

This has nothing whatever to do with my views on these subjects. The requirements are crystal clear. We tend to actually be lax about enforcing these standards, but we will enforce them.

2.5 million is the estimate

The Mysterious Case Of Jill Stein's Surging Recount Costs | Zero Hedge
Speaking of religion, Jerry Falwell Jr., (the creationist), was selected by the new pres. to act as education secretary. The good news is; even Falwell is unable to stomach Trump.

Falwell meets with Trump to talk education

As it is God’s will, Trump will be known as the antiscience president. Who needs the scientific method when educators can just make stuff up to fit any religious agenda?

Antiscience Beliefs Jeopardize U.S. Democracy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back