• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

The Official Paracast Political Thread! — Part Three

Free episodes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jeff Zucker, the head of CNN, admitted that his network had a liberal bias.
Really?

I find it so right-wing that I can't stomach watching it.

When I'm out of the country, it's BBC world or nothing. Avoid American media altogether, especially Fox and CNN.

So instead of Zucker saying a 'little liberal' he was supposed to say 'overly liberal?' Please, spare us!

I only wish you had been along with all the 'media moguls' when Trump singled out Zeff Zucker by name. Had Trump read most of your posts I wonder what his response might have been? Probably not too favorable.

No, the implication was that he changed that policy. Those who actually listened to CNN in recent months would have seen that Trump got a whole lot of latitude.

Honestly, I couldn't care what Trump thinks of me. If he wants to send nasty tweets, he only needs to spell my name correctly.

No, the implication was that he changed that policy. Those who actually listened to CNN in recent months would have seen that Trump got a whole lot of latitude.

Honestly, I couldn't care what Trump thinks of me. If he wants to send nasty tweets, he only needs to spell my name correctly.
You're not a billionaire, Gene.

To Trump, you don't exist, except to further his goals.

A very interesting point made by a commentator here this morning.
"Prior to the election they (local politicians) were going out of their way to call him out as being vile."
Some colourful examples here
"And now they are trying on his clothes."

In other words starting to emulate his policy's and rhetoric in the hopes that they too can cash in on the populist sentiment that's the elephant in the room.
Another used another perhaps rather tacky analogy, Likening the dynamic to the retarded nephew at the family reunion. Everyone knows he is there but don't really know how to acknowledge him, They just can't get past their uncomfortable sense of being unable to relate the situation.

The Anti-Immigration, nationalistic sentiment that's running through the electorate is something they know is there. They saw it at Brexit. They saw it as part of Trumps rhetoric during the campaign and presumably was a factor in his win. But they just don't know how to relate to that sentiment at a personal level.

Last edited by a moderator:
Picking up the torch on the most hotly debated topic by the humiliated US mainstream media, namely the spread of so-called "fake news" , German Chancellor Angela Merkel warned on Wednesday against the power of fake news on social media to roil the establishment and to spur the rise of populists, after launching her campaign for a fourth term.

Speaking in parliament for the first time since her announcement Sunday that she would seek re-election next year, Merkel cautioned that public opinion was being "manipulated" on the internet.

Something has changed -- as globalisation has marched on, (political) debate is taking place in a completely new media environment. Opinions aren't formed the way they were 25 years ago," she said.

Quoted by France 24, she said that "Today we have fake sites, bots, trolls -- things that regenerate themselves, reinforcing opinions with certain algorithms and we have to learn to deal with them." The chancellor said the challenge for democrats was to "reach and inspire people. However, should that fail, Merkel essentially suggested the time for censorship has come: "we must confront this phenomenon and if necessary, regulate it."

Merkel Declares War On "Fake News" As Europe Brands Russia's RT, Sputnik "Dangerous Propaganda" | Zero Hedge

Freedom of speech is the new heresy. If you say anything that is not pro gay, pro open borders or pro feminism you are swiftly name called without debate and called a racist etc.

People are mobilising to take your free speach away and the BBC is one of its biggest sponsors

Women in science pledge to combat hate - BBC News

I usually use the BBC every day. It is in serious decline. It is no way near as good as it used to be.
Yet it is still better than any other news source that I know of.

Before I respond regarding freedom of speech, I need a bit of clarification:

When you say "not pro _____ " what do you mean? as in: how many positions are there? I think there are three: Pro, Anti or neutral.

So when I see you say: "not pro" I am not sure exactly what you mean.

I don't mean to put words in @Greers Meeting Planner mouth I feel the same way but not so much as being or saying 'pro" as you can't say anything against certain groups. While I cannot give you any specific examples I have heard in public a few examples of people being labeled anti this or that simply because they didn't agree with their pov on a specific issue. It had nothing to do with the group that that person identifies himself/herself with.

To make an extreme...and as of yet fictitious example...It would be like if a LGBT group spoke out against the eating of meat and I didn't agree I would probably be labeled as an animal hater and anti gay to boot.

I have overheard a number of conversations out in public where this irrational reasoning SEEMS to be on the increase but I can't truly quantify that. People are more willing to pull out the xxxxxxx card (fill in the blanks) wherever and whenever it suits their purpose.

The point being that while I am a pretty chilled out guy and don't get my feathers all ruffled over every perceived slight and I do make every attempt to be civil and I treat everybody with respect unless their actions dictate otherwise, I do resent being put in a position ( maybe a better way of putting it; being EXPECTED )of having to tippy toe around a certain subject or individual just because of they way they identify themselves and I don't necessarily share their point of view.

Sometimes it's No just because it's No so suck it up.

Last edited:
I get what you are saying, but for me its about equality.

Equality shouldn't mean that one group is more or less valued than another.

Stereotypes are always wrong.

I believe what people want to do is up to them, as long as it doesn't effect the rights of someone else.
I include speech in this.

What I am saying is that everyone is so polarised that they get being equal mixed up with being pro or anti, I include both sides here.

When people start losing their protection because of immutable characteristics, other groups follow like a chain reaction.

The middle ground needs reclaiming, one group can't be more equal than an other.

trump-jabba-hut.jpg

LMAO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back