• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

The Official Paracast Political Thread! — Part Three

Free episodes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
True enough, but they are supposedly better now. How recent is your experience?

2011 XF. It's running perfectly now, like driving on a cloud. There are very few rides out there that come close. First year ownership was hell though, it's like a beast that needs taming (as in fix all the glitches from the assembly plant lol).

Jaguar was bought out by Tata motors of India (from Ford). Since then quality has been rising... drooling at that new F-Type convertible.
JNA_F-TYPE17-R-AWD-convertible_640x318_tcm97-204830_desktop_640x318.jpg

Coupe is not bad too... with AWD
2017-Jaguar-F-Type-SVR-Rear.jpg

As far as the automotive industry and jobs are concerned, those jobs are gone. I remember reading many years ago about how a japanese plant had gone fully robotic.
The major cost saving aspect wasnt the wages of the assemblers, it was the overhead lighting on what was a 4 acre factory plant. The Robots work in the dark and thats where the money was saved.

Trump wont reboot the automotive industry, unless

He whacks a dirty great tariff on imported cars, to the extent that its cheaper to buy a hand assembled US built car that it is to buy a robot assembled import with a tariff on top
All that will do is increase the cost for cars (because companies like Ford have said that they'd just pass that on to the consumer) without bringing the manufacturing back until they can automate labour mostly out of the equation.

Either way, the jobs aren't coming back en masse.

Rise of the Robotic Workforce - Harvard Political Review

“Many question the optimists who say that as many new jobs will be gained as will be lost from automation. In a Wall Street Journal essay from July 2014, former Secretary of the Treasury and Harvard University president Lawrence Summers warned of lasting structural unemployment due to robotic workers. “There are more sectors losing jobs than creating jobs. … If current trends continue, it could well be that a generation from now a quarter of middle-aged men will be out of work at any given moment,”
Which is why smart leaders let manufacturing leave the US and Canada in the first place!

Better to reskill those folks to better industries now... and let other countries deal with the mess when automation takes over.

Cheaper products produced elsewhere for your market, your companies make more money, environmental messes and labour problems somewhere else... then just automate them and then labour doesn't matter at all.

2011 XF. It's running perfectly now, like driving on a cloud. There are very few rides out there that come close. First year ownership was hell though, it's like a beast that needs taming (as in fix all the glitches from the assembly plant lol).

Jaguar was bought out by Tata motors of India (from Ford). Since then quality has been rising... drooling at that new F-Type convertible.
JNA_F-TYPE17-R-AWD-convertible_640x318_tcm97-204830_desktop_640x318.jpg

Coupe is not bad too... with AWD
2017-Jaguar-F-Type-SVR-Rear.jpg
It's good to hear that quality is on the upswing. But Consumer Reports is still reporting "worse than average" on all of the current models they'v tested. Just FYI.

All that will do is increase the cost for cars (because companies like Ford have said that they'd just pass that on to the consumer) without bringing the manufacturing back until they can automate labour mostly out of the equation.

Either way, the jobs aren't coming back en masse.

You hit it on the head. The only reason plants are moving out is that there are places on earth where hand labor by humans is still cheaper than automation.

Trump not understanding that these jobs are gone forever and Hillary not hitting Trump about that fact is mindblowing... Or did Hillary actually mention this ?

Hillary mentioned lots of things that never got quoted, because all the media was writing was what Trump said about her with regard to email and the Clinton Foundation. Now it turns out, according to an IRS filing made public, that the Trump Foundation was violating the law, not the Clinton Foundation.

The argument about jobs never coming back is difficult to manage, because all the opposition has to say is that they know how to bring them back. It's a lose lose situation. Clinton tried that in coal country, talking about retraining and other opportunities to help displaced workers. But the nuances were lost as she was attacked for being a part of the non-existent war on coal.

Who here in the forums feels "Cash for Clunkers" helped our country? Chevys most popular V8 engine now cost a fortune to work on. Thanks Obama....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Who here in the forums feels "Cash for Clunkers" helped our country? Chevys most popular V8 engine now cost a fortune to work on. Thanks Obama....

It got people to start buying cars again. It had NOTHING to do with the reliability of any particular vehicle; it didn't set reliability requirements for manufacturers or what they should charge for repairs. I know someone who got a new car this way, and he was very happy with what he chose. Apples and Oranges there.

as a mechanically enclined person who goes to salvage yards for parts it impacted me negatively...

Actually, I do have experience; however, it is obvious that you would rather fill lines in with your self-aggrandizing Hamburger Helper. I have never encountered an individual with the ability to fill in as many lines with meaningless crap. You must be paid by the word.

What is wrong with you? Have you been back in the parts room smoking jazz cabbage? I have already pointed that out.

Why don’t you place the blame where it mostly lies, in your customers who fail to maintain, or, end up abusing their vehicles?

Again, more Hamburger Helper.

I would no more take your word that uniform standards are a joke than I would believe the US would knowingly allow for the importation of car parts created by "child" slave labor.

Here you are again misleading. The parts you are describing are the bottom of the barrel, however, still carrying some type of warranty. Shady shops, used car dealers and weekend warriors on a budget utilize them.

Children..., you don’t say. Have you seen them running around naked on the streets grasping spark plug wires & water pumps? As usual, you supply grandiose exaggeration.
You have made the claim of child slave labor being implemented in parts arriving in the US..., again, prove it.

No one offs; list the part companies with an historical 15% failure rate “out of the box”. You made the claim, you prove it.

Why must you continue in providing unnecessary information already given to you? ADHD?

And here is where you have truly screwed the pooch, as in truly showing your lack of knowledge.
Not just the US, but every car manufacture on this planet tests their parts in compiling a failure rate as it is required by law to have replacement parts available for a determined number of years.

In not knowing the former, the latter is meaningless.

Again, point me toward your evidence. I want to read (along with the other evidence) in which you espouse.

More inflated, self-aggrandizing opinion. Its gets old after a while, but some have unbearably grown accustomed to it.

Congratulation, for once there is common ground. I shall cherish this newfound common ground for one brief moment, and now that one moment is forever gone.

If the crap should ever hit the fan, I am certain you would make for an excellent used car salesman, or, as a far reach.., motivational speaker.

Obviously, you’re employed in mid-level management.

I’m curious, did you marry into your job?

All of this proves one thing conclusively. You have failed here miserably and you sincerely don't have a clue what it is you are attempting to feign familiarity with. You too are being placed on ignore simply because at this point you are simply incapable of anything other than further trolling. You do not have the dignity that is required to admit your thorough ignorance of the matter you pretentiously claim to understand. There are two types of people in the world S.R.L. There are those who qualify as legitimate customers, and then there are those like yourself that no business can afford to have around as they are without any semblance of honesty or reason. You Sir are the epitome of this latter form of unmerited liberal taxation. Have a nice life and enjoy your next slice of government on me. Lord knows it won't be the first.

And you Jeffy, have not answered one of my questions in a meaningful way.

When roasting & then slicing into the turkey tomorrow, I will be thinking of you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back