• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Official funny stuff

Free episodes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had an uncle who used mainframe computers like back in 1980, and I remember playing some games - none of which had graphics, but still thinking I was really using something space-aged and cool.
We laugh now, with our smartphones etc but at the time it was indeed ace. Hey Mike, did the ZX Spectrum ever take off in Oz? Back when we had one, there was a kind of friendly divide among those with Spectrums and those with Commodore 64's (and no kids, the 64 didn't refer to 'bits'!).

Yeah we had both

Australian ZX Users' Association - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I remember going to a C64 sales seminar back when they launched.
The guy on stage tells us about how they did a study and found most american homes have 2 TV's in them. And that they envisaged a day when every home would have at least one computer.

Everybody laughed......................

When i started work the model was a mainframe with terminals, over the course of my career i saw that change to desktop PC's

You don't even have to go back far at all to see stuff as really crappy and old. Remember Windows, like about 1993-4? Can't remember which edition but when I think back it was horrible looking.

I don't know if it's cos I'm too old or was too used to how computer games used to be but all these consoles these days, although undoubtedly amazing, for me the controllers have far too many buttons etc. I really don't want to have to go up, up, left, down all while pressing L and Start etc, just to stick a sword into some goblin. I loved my old speccy games with the classic up, down, left and right and maybe the space bar for jump or fire! Jet Set Willy anyone?

I still have two working Commodore 64's, although my supply of functioning floppy disks are dwindeling.
My favorite C64 game is Impossible Mission. Did anyone else play that?

I did. I still remember the evil computer voice that said "Stay awhile. Stay forever....."

I also loved Below the Root but I don't know anyone else who played that. Boulder Dash was also fun.

I remember Winter Games too, in fact I was counting on you to mention it to prove your claim!!

I am afraid that if I have played those games, I do not remember the titles. But as I said, I was actually a spectrum owner, a friend up the road had a '64.

I do remember one game that had a black-clad ninja as protagonist, the game was kind of 3-d and you went about all these Japanese water-garden type levels, fighting people and finding the gifts/prizes needed to advance. At the time the graphics were stunning, often touted as the best the 64 had ever come up with. For the life of me I cannot remember the title and I will kick myself if I find it out.

An aspect of these older games I loved is that it didn't matter about the graphics, my childhood imagination filled all the gaps, in fact a bit like reading a book, I suppose we all gave our games a real boost mentally, imagining we were in these exotic locations or spacecraft etc.

For any speccy fans here are a few game names off the top of my head: Nightlore, Kokotini Wilf, Brian Bloodaxe, 3-D Death Chase, Manic Miner, Fairlight and Horace goes Skiiing!! Wha-hey for the 80's!!:):p:)

All of the other games you mentioned I don't remember, or simply never played. I truly don't remember a Japanese water-garden type game. I think I might have played a Manic Miner - which I think may have been slightly similar to Boulder Dash. Or, I could be mistaken. C'est la vie.

Questron was probably my favorite of the C-64 games. In it, you wandered the land of Questron, going to different cities, gambling for money and fighting creatures until you were strong enough to attack the castle. Once you successfully attacked the castle (and therefore proved your worth), the good wizard would assign for you a challenge where you would go to the Land of Evil and eventually take on the evil wizard at the bottom of a dungeon in Skull Mountain. Once you won, you were treated to an elaborate (by C-64 standards) ceremony. It rocked.

Telengard was another favorite. It was a D&D type game where you're at the top level of a dungeon and fight other creatures, working your way down as you can. As far as I could tell, the only purpose of the game was to stay alive and get stronger. Still, it was fun.

Castle Wolfenstein was a game I loved, where you were an Allied prisoner trying to escape a Nazi prison. You started with a simple gun and 10 bullets but you could steel more bullets, grenades, uniforms and SS bulletproof vests, allowing you what was needed to escape the prison. Eventually, a follow-up game was designed called After Wolfenstein where you broke back into the castle carrying a bomb in order to assassinate Hitler. Fun times.

I did have a C-64 emulator but it died. Most other emulators I've tried to download haven't worked for me, though my brother (the original computer geek) is trying to send me another copy of my old emulator. It was awesome rediscovering the games of my childhood.

I remember Castle Wolfenstein and Boulder Dash, but I currently have no copies. I still have some simple D&D maze type games that were fantastic back when, but now my kids laugh at the simplistic stick graphics.
I still have a book I got from Radio Shack that had programs for games and stuff that you could program in yourself using Basic (ahhh those were the days). The best one in there is "Dr.Who VS The Daleks". It's on a simple board with 1600 squares. You move the Doctor to make the Daleks run into and destroy each other before one touched you. And I still have the plug in module for "Tank Battle", but I haven't used it in years.
Whenever I bring up the Golden Years, my kids call it "Geezing". Ah well, they'll find out one day.

390045_278874612234072_844553093_n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back