• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

They don't want us to know

Free episodes:

I'm pretty sure there is an entitiy called 'allmighty god' born by those people that created an image of it in their minds and reading fictional books, out there. I dislike the term 'Tulpa', I'm for ' thought form'. You see, the more people believe in something...

I doubt they would want to meet him. I wouldn't as well.

We're still not in synch. The issue here ( and correct me if I'm wrong ) is that there is a contention that what you call "tales" are believed by others to be true and you have gone on to offer a reason as to why you are of the opinion that they aren't true. Correct? If so, then from an unbiased point of view there is no "tale", only information that may or may not be accurate. Your accuracy test states that the information is false by virtue of the, "inexperienceable nature of the real world". But does that test apply evenly to all information? Let's try asking this question:
  • If the "the inexperienceable nature of the real world" makes information about the reality of something false, is not the knowledge of the apple's existence ( seen by Jim and Bob ) also not "false"? After all it is just as directly "inexperiencable" as anything else. Correct?

I am saying the apples that Jim and Bob experience are not the real world apple. They both know about their own apples but not the others. They can even tell stories about their apples. Jim's may be red and Bob's, who is color blind, a muddy looking brown but they are still both be looking at the same real world apple. However the real world apple has no color as we experience color, has no solidity as we experience solidity, and so on. How do we know these things? We have developed instruments that map non-sensory events to our senses that have given us workable models of real world events, but we are still behind the barrier on the other side of the screen.

This is an oversimplification, but it illustrates my point: If all we can do is watch a recorded television program, can we know anything about the true nature of what we are watching, or more importantly the true nature of the studio in which it was made? We are unable to even perceive that the screen is actually displaying changing still images at such a rate they only appear to be moving. The studio is one thing, the light entering the camera another, the image processed and beamed to us as a signal of a completely different nature, the received and decoded signal sent to the display circuitry another, the actual display an entirely different thing emitting a completely different type of signal through an entirely different medium to begin a similar process of transformation, transmutation, and processing by the human being watching the screen. What is left of the event that was recorded in the studio? Did we experience that event? Do we have any real knowledge about the event in the studio or do we only have knowledge of what we perceive as displayed on our screen?

Science, religion, and philosophy peer at the images presented on the screen of human consciousness and attempt to perceive and interpret events occurring in some other form in some other time and in some other place. Living things have evolved the means to navigate their environments and nourish themselves using maps of the environment they create from their own substance. The map is not the territory and all we see is the map. Tales told of the map are of the map not of the territory. In this way they are "false" stories told about the territory, they are true tales told of the map.

I think this also describes a mechanism for paranormal activity of all kinds. The complete and absolute otherness of the human experience (the awareness, the consciousness, the conscious mind) of our environment vs. the real environment (invisible, soundless, intangible) means that we move and have our being in a vastly inexperienced and unknown domain in which many things exist beyond our ability to sense or reproduce in our consciousness properly or at all. Invisible structures and events surround us. Do beings and entities also exist outside our ability to perceive or even comprehend? That is a possibility, but do those who claim to have knowledge about beings and events outside of their ability to perceive or comprehend have any justifiable reason to do so?

When I say "Tales of the reality that exists beyond that created by the human senses in concert with the brain/mind system are logically and practically false by virtue of the inexperienceable nature of the real world in which we actually move and have our being." I am saying, "Tales told of unreachable realms must by necessity come from that which is reachable, namely the facility known as imagination within human consciousness and not the unreachable realm itself."

A person sees an apparition of some kind, or experiences a vision of heavenly realms and other dimensions. What did they actually experience? Their mind portraying something. What does the mind do when incomplete or incongruent information is presented to it? It shoehorns it into a recognizable or "displayable" form by filling in blanks and using available material from within itself.

Why do tales of spiritual realms and other dimensions parrot the world of human experience?

To prove my hypothesis incorrect provide one tale of some event, being, or communication which is claimed to come from somewhere other than human consciousness that has proven to be "true." Example: Joseph Smith's communication from the inter-dimensional being Moroni. The Moronic information is false and actually based on Smith's imagination and his plagiarism of other people's imagination. Scientology: "Tech" from investigations into other realms and dimensions which are actually the products of Hubbard's imagination and plagiarism as well . The Book of Urantia: Mystical communications from the masters of the universe -Bullshit on steroids. I have others.

I have read of instinct, and intuition, however I cannot locate the point of origin for those. Where might they possibly emanate from?

The physical structure of the organism reacting to the environment. The organism is not a singularity but a community of specialized cells. Changes occur in the environment, receptors on cells "dock" with bits of the environment (perception) that cause an actual physical change in the shape of the cell itself (thus movement is possible) and so on. Specialized cells within the organism accept certain bits of the environment (the organism constituting a part of that environment) change accordingly, produce the appropriate movements and baby-chick runs from the shadow.

I'm pretty sure there is an entitiy called 'allmighty god' born by those people that created an image of it in their minds and reading fictional books, out there. I dislike the term 'Tulpa', I'm for ' thought form'. You see, the more people believe in something...

I doubt they would want to meet him. I wouldn't as well.

What we're discovering is that this 'allmighty god' idea is part of a 14 billion year old 'process' and not a 6000 year old instantiation of sentience.

Should we discover other sentient beings evolving and experiencing the same existential dilemnas on other planets, all the stories in sacred religious texts become tiny drops in the physical experiences bucket. Under that kind of framework, the reference points are shattered and any comfort blanket you thought you had becomes a stale illusion.

The physical structure of the organism reacting to the environment. The organism is not a singularity but a community of specialized cells. Changes occur in the environment, receptors on cells "dock" with bits of the environment (perception) that cause an actual physical change in the shape of the cell itself (thus movement is possible) and so on. Specialized cells within the organism accept certain bits of the environment (the organism constituting a part of that environment) change accordingly, produce the appropriate movements and baby-chick runs from the shadow.

From the materialist perspective, how would the information be possibly transferred from the rooster, to the hen, and then to the new born chick?

From the materialist perspective, how would the information be possibly transferred from the rooster, to the hen, and then to the new born chick?

I feel like a steer being herded down a shoot.

To answer your question: Through what we perceive of as the physical structure of the organism.

You could also call it the configuration of the real world substance that constitutes the organism. If you want to you can substitute words like pattern or arrangement for physical structure (which is the human experience of a real world event) and primordial substance for real world substance. I know someone who uses the word spirit to denote the arrangement of whatever actually makes up the real world. I find it confusing to use such a loaded term although I think I would get some nods from saying something like, "We exist in the absolute reality as spirits sharing a universal substance." or some such.

I feel like a steer being herded down a shoot.

To answer your question: Through what we perceive of as the physical structure of the organism.

You could also call it the configuration of the real world substance that constitutes the organism. If you want to you can substitute words like pattern or arrangement for physical structure (which is the human experience of a real world event) and primordial substance for real world substance. I know someone who uses the word spirit to denote the arrangement of whatever actually makes up the real world. I find it confusing to use such a loaded term although I think I would get some nods from saying something like, "We exist in the absolute reality as spirits sharing a universal substance." or some such.

Well Rick, it wasn’t quite the response in which I was anticipating, as I will cherish this brief moment for all eternity.

I would suggest from the materialist perspective, and with respect to intuition and instinct, the genetic encoding of the DNA could possibly be responsible for the transfer of information from the rooster, to the hen, and then to the new born chick. Does this sound reasonable?

Well Rick, it wasn’t quite the response in which I was anticipating, as I will cherish this brief moment for all eternity.

Why is that?

I would suggest from the materialist perspective, and with respect to intuition and instinct, the genetic encoding of the DNA could possibly be responsible for the transfer of information from the rooster, to the hen, and then to the new born chick. Does this sound reasonable?

Yes, that is exactly what I meant by physical structure. I guess I could have just supplied a link to DNA in Wikipedia or the most read articles for the Genetics journal. See also Evolution, Genetics, Eugenics, and microbiology.

Why is that?

Yes, that is exactly what I meant by physical structure. I guess I could have just supplied a link to DNA in Wikipedia or the most read articles for the Genetics journal. See also Evolution, Genetics, Eugenics, and microbiology.

Your comment of feeling like a steer being herded down a chute. Like I said, it was just for a brief moment, and the moment has long past.

If instinct, and intuition are genetically encoded within DNA and DNA only, could you possibly explain this from the materialist perspective: There have been known instances in which a parent can detect, (via intuition, or instinct), when a son or daughter has befallen misfortune. For instance when a mother says, I just have a terrible feeling, and then the phone rings with bad news. Is that genetically encoded within the DNA? If so, how would this possibly work? Does the DNA have the inherently innate, and pre-cognitive quality of detecting misfortune, then informing the parent that the son, or daughter had befallen misfortune?

Your comment of feeling like a steer being herded down a chute. Like I said, it was just for a brief moment, and the moment has long past.

I recognized that you were asking questions you already knew the answer to with some point in mind that you would eventually get to given the time.

If instinct, and intuition are genetically encoded within DNA and DNA only, could you possibly explain this from the materialist perspective: There have been known instances in which a parent can detect, (via intuition, or instinct), when a son or daughter has befallen misfortune. For instance when a mother says, I just have a terrible feeling, and then the phone rings with bad news. Is that genetically encoded within the DNA? If so, how would this possibly work? Does the DNA have the inherently innate, and pre-cognitive quality of detecting misfortune, then informing the parent that the son, or daughter had befallen misfortune?
Where have I talked about intuition? I have made no claims that DNA explains intuition. Where are you getting that from?

The organism responds to the environment through it's perception of it. You would probably enjoy The Biology of Belief in which Lipton describes these mechanisms pretty clearly. He explains the workings and purpose of DNA and RNA within the cell. He also throws in a bit of woo-woo for good measure, but no one is perfect.

I am saying the apples that Jim and Bob experience are not the real world apple. They both know about their own apples but not the others. ... When I say ...

"Tales of the reality that exists beyond that created by the human senses in concert with the brain/mind system are logically and practically false by virtue of the inexperienceable nature of the real world in which we actually move and have our being."​

I am saying, "Tales told of unreachable realms must by necessity come from that which is reachable, namely the facility known as imagination within human consciousness and not the unreachable realm itself."

A person sees an apparition of some kind, or experiences a vision of heavenly realms and other dimensions. What did they actually experience? Their mind portraying something. What does the mind do when incomplete or incongruent information is presented to it? It shoehorns it into a recognizable or "displayable" form by filling in blanks and using available material from within itself. Why do tales of spiritual realms and other dimensions parrot the world of human experience? To prove my hypothesis incorrect provide one tale of some event, being, or communication which is claimed to come from somewhere other than human consciousness that has proven to be "true."

OK we seem to be making progress, and please bear with me here until the end of this post. I've understood what you have been saying all along, and I think I can now put the problem into a sentence which will allow you to identify the apparent conflict:
  • Due to the "inexperienceable nature of the real world" logically the tale of Jim and Bob's apple would be just as "false" as a tale of Jim and Bobs apparition.
Because your reasoning applies to both types of phenomena, it cannot be used to justify one while disqualifying another. The best you can do based on your reasoning is to claim that all tales are false.

Now I think that although the above is what you have actually been saying, it isn't what you you really mean. It seems to me that what you are really trying to say is that that:
  1. "The human senses in concert with the brain/mind system" do provide some rationale for believing that Jim and Bob's apple exists in some form independent of them, even if each experience it slightly differently.
  2. A belief in something like an afterlife is information you believe to be false because it has not been acquired by "the human senses in concert with the brain/mind system". ( it is a purely mental construct ).
Are we on the same page now?

I recognized that you were asking questions you already knew the answer to with some point in mind that you would eventually get to given the time.

Where have I talked about intuition? I have made no claims that DNA explains intuition. Where are you getting that from?

The organism responds to the environment through it's perception of it. You would probably enjoy The Biology of Belief in which Lipton describes these mechanisms pretty clearly. He explains the workings and purpose of DNA and RNA within the cell. He also throws in a bit of woo-woo for good measure, but no one is perfect.

I was under the impression that you were responding to both in post 363# (below) , and apparently you were not. However why not speak to intuition, in relation to the question? Never mind as you can not speak to intution from a materialist position, because to the materialist it doesn't exist.

“I have read of instinct, and intuition, however I cannot locate the point of origin for those. Where might they possibly emanate from?”

“The physical structure of the organism reacting to the environment. The organism is not a singularity but a community of specialized cells. Changes occur in the environment, receptors on cells "dock" with bits of the environment (perception) that cause an actual physical change in the shape of the cell itself (thus movement is possible) and so on. Specialized cells within the organism accept certain bits of the environment (the organism constituting a part of that environment) change accordingly, produce the appropriate movements and baby-chick runs from the shadow.”

Are we on the same page now?

I don't think so.

I am at a loss to explain how a human being can be aware of anything that is not his own individual consciousness. I am also at a loss to explain how a human being could access any sort of data, information, or signal (chemical, electromagnetic, or other) that he does not have the sensory apparatus for or has not mapped to an existing sense (thermal vision, auditory indication of radiation detection, etc.,etc.) via some instrument. Perhaps you could cut to the chase and just explain what you think the mechanism for that is and how it works.

trainedobserver said:
I don't think so.

I am at a loss to explain how a human being can be aware of anything that is not his own individual consciousness. I am also at a loss to explain how a human being could access any sort of data, information, or signal (chemical, electromagnetic, or other) that he does not have the sensory apparatus for or has not mapped to an existing sense (thermal vision, auditory indication of radiation detection, etc.,etc.) via some instrument. Perhaps you could cut to the chase and just explain what you think the mechanism for that is and how it works.

OK ... let's assume that we can't be aware of, "anything that is not his ( or our ) own individual consciousness". By this measure nothing can be claimed to be objectively real. Not Bob and Jim's apple, not Bob and Jim's apparition, not Bob and Jim's visit to Stovokor, not Bob and Jim's scientific report on the effects of ultraviolet light on bacterial growth. Bob can't even claim Jim is real and Jim can't even claim Bob is real. It nullifies the objective reality of virtually everything. So let's revise: By what measure do you believe we can be reasonably certain of the objective reality of anything?

Never mind as you can not speak to intution from a materialist position, because to the materialist it doesn't exsit.

I think you are talking to the wrong guy or barking up the wrong tree, so to speak. It sounds like you want me to defend someone else's position on something or you imagine me holding what you think is a "materialist position" and that I should launch into some dissertation on materialism.

If you have something to say, say it and attempt to justify it. I have stated my position as best I know how. You can take my dime store philosophical mussing for what it is, my thoughts on the matter at this point in time. That and $3 will get you a cup of coffee in most places nowadays.

B.T.W. I recognize the existence of what people call "intuition." I obviously overlooked that in your original question and fixated on "instinct" ...probably instinctively.

What do you think is the mechanism that explains the separate phenomena of instinct and intuition?

Some claims made about intuition, clairvoyance, ESP, etc., etc. could be explained by connections between beings and objects that are not represented or representable in the 3D Virtual Reality we experience as our consciousness. Examples: Action at a distance, Spooky action at a distance, quantum entanglement.

I think you are talking to the wrong guy or barking up the wrong tree, so to speak. It sounds like you want me to defend someone else's position on something or you imagine me holding what you think is a "materialist position" and that I should launch into some dissertation on materialism.

If you have something to say, say it and attempt to justify it. I have stated my position as best I know how. You can take my dime store philosophical mussing for what it is, my thoughts on the matter at this point in time. That and $3 will get you a cup of coffee in most places nowadays.

B.T.W. I recognize the existence of what people call "intuition." I obviously overlooked that in your original question and fixated on "instinct" ...probably instinctively.

What do you think is the mechanism that explains the separate phenomena of instinct and intuition?

I’m talking to the right guy, and that guy stated that he was a materialist. So one of two things have occurred. Either he did not know what a materialist was, or he has had a change of heart. I don’t know which one, and I really don’t care. Let’s move forward.

• Repeatability does nothing to solve the problem of the "inexperiencable nature of the real world". We could repeat the same thing a billion times and still be no closer. So are we now dropping that concept?

You said "So let's revise: By what measure do you believe we can be reasonably certain of the objective reality of anything?" I answered. Repeatability.

The inexperiencable real world is navigated using the 3D Virtual Display map (literally our experience of consciousness), the only useful bits of which are the reliable repeatable portions. Sensory anomalies like hallucinations, apparitions, and the sort are practically useless in navigating the landscape and so forth.

• Lack of repeatability doesn't to anything to nullify a proposition. For example it is entirely possible that something can happen only once and be unique and true.

But how could you tell?

Back