• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Missing People....lots of them

Free episodes:

Well i can't think of any particular event but in many cases where people report of being chased by ghosts creatures etc. in either folktales or alllegedly true encounters once somebody got past a bridge, over a stream etc. the pursuit was broken off. I heard of several stories (tales) involving people being threatened while exploring the superstition mountains and they felt threatened and endangered until they got to a certain point and the threat disappeared as quickly as it came on.

Also there would seem to be some boundaries involved on MT. Shasta invoolving hikers and where they are "allowed" to go off trail.

I'm curious if there is something to that. I suppose in some cases it could simply be an entity growing tired of the chase or being distracted by something else, but I think there may be some that aren't easily explained that way (like cases where that is consistent like the boundaries you mentioned on Mount Shasta).

I know it's easily dismissed, but I also take heed when people claim to have odd feelings in areas. I think that could be some sensory or survival mechanism for unseen things that we don't realize we have. I have gotten certain vibes from people a few times in the past that struck me hard. I imagine if something external was trying to bring about harm, that feeling could be dramatically intensified.

from a paranormal aspect I would suggest that these entities or forces were known to native Americans who probably would have created a spiritual barrier to keep the forces at bay and has to be honored even if the physical signs of the barrier are long gone.

or maybe it just comes down to a predefined amount of territory that any entity feels compelled to defend and chase off any perceived threat or intruder.

Hopefully this is ok to do to. Just to make sure everything is properly credited, the following pages are from Missing 411: North America and Beyond by David Paulides available for sale here. This is the story I mentioned previously. I think I said there were two girls that originally went missing but I believe I was confusing that element with another case. And I apologize for the crappy quality of the images:

Page 1:
http://cdn-3-service.phanfare.com/images/9493393_6053309_186099126_WebLarge_2/Image-9493393-186099126-2-WebLarge_0_1e702882031bd9222779003c2744a351_1

Page 2:
http://cdn-3-service.phanfare.com/images/9493393_6053309_186099129_WebSmall_2/Image-9493393-186099129-2-WebSmall_0_368571c981cd4a5407afe4bcd90a64e9_1

Page 3:
http://cdn-3-service.phanfare.com/images/9493393_6053309_186099135_Web_2/Image-9493393-186099135-2-Web_0_7797dc9fd8fd05a99ede0f9bf853be42_1

Page 4:
http://cdn-3-service.phanfare.com/images/9493393_6053309_186099154_WebSmall_2/Image-9493393-186099154-2-WebSmall_0_6f36908989ac7e0139baba86a9d29a4b_1

(Sorry, I would have actually added the image here instead of the URL but they are WAYYY too huge and I wanted to make sure they were easy to read)

One detail I wonder about is the state of her clothing. I wonder if they were dirty as though she spent a lot of the time in the swampy areas? Or were they clean, indicating that she was indoors for the duration?

I know it's easily dismissed, but I also take heed when people claim to have odd feelings in areas. I think that could be some sensory or survival mechanism for unseen things that we don't realize we have. I have gotten certain vibes from people a few times in the past that struck me hard. I imagine if something external was trying to bring about harm, that feeling could be dramatically intensified.

Yeah, it could be paranoia on my part, but I do respect those feelings. There are outdoor settings where I am cautious. I don't know of any places locally where I wouldn't go, but there are places where I sort of pay attention and show deference to the land and what's in it, if that makes sense. If you look at a wilderness setting as a system, you have to understand that they are big and powerful things. Looking at a place as either sentient or being populated with sentient beings is useful, I feel, even if you just use that frame of reference symbolically. An environment can play with your mind and at least cause you to make mistakes. And yeah, there are some people who immediately creep me out and I avoid them. I don't necessarily see that as a psychic ability, but more just unconsciously picking up alarm signals from an individual. We carry a lot of material inherited from our ancestors, and it's probably worth while to pay attention to it.

Not sure if anyone posted this but: Canadian folk singer killed by coyotes, park official says - CNN.com

Seems the Eastern Coyotes have been interbreeding with wolves and gaining size and boldness.

Sorry to keep bombing this thread, but I thought this was significant in the article:
He said no other coyote attacks had ever occurred in the park. "We've had coyotes approach people too closely," he said, and about six years ago one nipped a person.
We have lots of coyotes in Pennsylvania, but you'll rarely if ever see them when hiking. Hunters see them while sitting still and quiet, and you may occasionally see them driving or walking a road at night. But for them to approach people is, I believe, a fair predictor of attacks.

A interesting article about wolf behavior:
http://rliv.com/wolf/GeistWhenDangerous.pdf

I guess one thing to keep in mind is that it's still quite rare, especially compared to the comparatively frequent killings by dogs.

Konrad, I wonder if it's also possible that there could be some kind of hybrid canines responsible as well. I imagine that coyotes are significantly smaller than wolves. I would also wonder exactly how the witnesses described the coyotes. I mean did they say "coyote" or "some kind of canine/dog/wolf" and the media just went with coyote.

Hopefully that was just one unfortunate isolated situation that won't repeat itself. But if there are starving canines out there then people had better be careful when entering the woods.

Another tragic yet curious situation I read about recently involved a college football student in Michigan. I read the original story in the last couple days, before he was found. A friend shared this update with me today (his body was recovered):

Mystery surrounds death of former star quarterback in Michigan woods - CNN.com

Could turn out to be a mental breakdown of some sort maybe due to his concussions or daily pressure or perhaps some kind of drug use (I don't know anything about the guy, so I only mention it as a possibility). If not, then I wonder what got him so riled that night. It sounds like a lot of bad circumstances came together all at once. Somehow he didn't have a ride to leave and then something happened and he winds up dead under some foliage.

No signs of trauma or foul play makes me think it could have been a medical episode but if not, I wonder what would have made him so frightened or nervous that he didn't make it out of the situation alive. Or perhaps something scared him enough to push him into having a medical episode.

Konrad, I wonder if it's also possible that there could be some kind of hybrid canines responsible as well. I imagine that coyotes are significantly smaller than wolves. I would also wonder exactly how the witnesses described the coyotes. I mean did they say "coyote" or "some kind of canine/dog/wolf" and the media just went with coyote.

Hopefully that was just one unfortunate isolated situation that won't repeat itself. But if there are starving canines out there then people had better be careful when entering the woods.

Another tragic yet curious situation I read about recently involved a college football student in Michigan. I read the original story in the last couple days, before he was found. A friend shared this update with me today (his body was recovered):

Mystery surrounds death of former star quarterback in Michigan woods - CNN.com

Could turn out to be a mental breakdown of some sort maybe due to his concussions or daily pressure or perhaps some kind of drug use (I don't know anything about the guy, so I only mention it as a possibility). If not, then I wonder what got him so riled that night. It sounds like a lot of bad circumstances came together all at once. Somehow he didn't have a ride to leave and then something happened and he winds up dead under some foliage.

No signs of trauma or foul play makes me think it could have been a medical episode but if not, I wonder what would have made him so frightened or nervous that he didn't make it out of the situation alive. Or perhaps something scared him enough to push him into having a medical episode.

At this point, I don't know how a biologist would look at the Eastern coyote, in regard to what is technically a hybrid, coywolf, or what have you. They seem to have bred a good deal with grey wolves.
Coyote - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Although media reports of such attacks generally identify the animals in question as simply "coyotes", research into the genetics of the eastern coyote indicates those involved in attacks in northeast North America, including Pennsylvania, New York, New England, and eastern Canada, may have actually been coywolves, hybrids of Canis latrans and Canis lupus, not fully coyotes.

I read somewhere that these animals descend from male wolves and female coyotes, as female wolves would not tolerate the advances of a male coyote. But wiki cites even the regular northern coyote as having an range up to 75 pounds, which is close to many pitbull terriers.

Attacks are still very rare, and maybe statistically insignificant compared to the many dog attacks, but I guess the potential is there, especially for kids. An adult couple in Lehigh county were attacked by a rabid coyote a while ago. Many hunters ascribe the declining deer population in PA to the increased coyote population.

The quarterback death is just creepy. It makes you wonder what he was experiencing.

Just a small update I found on the quarterback case. Apparently an autopsy turned up nothing. No external damage, no injury, no foul play suspected and he did not have a heart attack (which I guess was a possibility since he had a slightly enlarged heart):

Cullen Finnerty autopsy fails to find why ex-Grand Valley quarterback died | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

They are doing toxicology reports, which were not complete at the time that article was posted.

I'm curious about what exactly he said to his wife when he was feeling nervous:

Lake County Sheriff Robert Hilts said Finnerty had called his wife Sunday and expressed concern about being out on the river."He was just uncomfortable about his surroundings at the time,” Hilts said. “He said he was getting off the river, and things went downhill from there.”

This is my personal opinion, but if I was in a situation that made me nervous or uncomfortable, I would likely say why when I spoke to my spouse. I would say "I think someone is following me" or "I hear something weird" or "I think I'm getting sick" or whatever it may be. I really wonder what "expressed concern" means specifically. What about his surroundings was making him nervous? Did hear, see or sense something or was it just the isolated conditions?

I would think that if it was purely medical, as in he felt like he may be experiencing the onset of a health problem, he would say to his wife "please have someone come get me as soon as possible, I am ill" or something like that.

Still not saying this is paranormal in any way, but the whole thing is very strange. It's like he just started moving away from the river and decided to die. Maybe the toxicology reports will be the key that explains it.

I haven't seen anything about toxicology reports yet, but I did find this article from June 8th that has more detail. Apparently he made two phone calls before going missing, was nervous in both and mentioned that he ran into two men who he thought might be following him:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/09/sports/ncaafootball/questions-linger-about-death-of-former-quarterback-cullen-finnerty.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

None of it made sense. How he complained of headaches and restless sleep in the days before he disappeared. How he went fishing by himself. How he ended up dead not much more than 100 yards from a road, out in the open, about half a mile west of where he docked his pontoon boat.
His last two phone calls proved most haunting. One was to his wife, the other from his brother-in-law. Family members said that in both, Finnerty sounded panicked. He said he was uncomfortable. He said he ran into two men on the Baldwin River. He thought they might be following him.

I am starting to wonder if this situation was brought on by head injuries or something purely medical since this apparently wasn't the first incident he has had like this:

The family lingered on the phone calls, the pain Finnerty reported in his left arm and jaw, the hour or two he slept each night that weekend. He always slept longer than anyone else. Sometimes, they called him Mr. Nap.
Finnerty answered his phone for the last time at 9:36 p.m. Sunday. The police said the call lasted about 20 seconds.
“I don’t know where I am,” he told his brother-in-law, according to family members.
This brought to mind an incident from December 2011, the other time Finnerty’s actions could not be explained, the only time his older brother, Tim, had ever seen him scared. Finnerty was out in Detroit with co-workers. He thought he was being followed. In a fit of paranoia, he drove to Tim’s home in Grand Rapids, more than 150 miles away.
Nobody was behind him.
“He was not himself,” Tim said.

I haven't read the books of David Palaidies. the following statement is based solely on his interviews on Paracast, Coast to Coast am, Dark Matter's Radio.
I think we have a break away civilization of feral humans who have grown to be expert survivalist. Expert enough to time their abduction of people with rain storms to cover their tracks, Who have learned expert tricks to smuggle people out from under our noses. While we meer mortals have to have campfires and semi urban comforts to camp well.

... I think we have a break away civilization of feral humans who have grown to be expert survivalist. Expert enough to time their abduction of people with rain storms to cover their tracks, Who have learned expert tricks to smuggle people out from under our noses ...

There was once a thinly veiled reality show about feral humans
who had infiltrated Beverly hills ...

Look out, here comes Grify with her novel length posts again! :p

I haven't read the books of David Palaidies. the following statement is based solely on his interviews on Paracast, Coast to Coast am, Dark Matter's Radio.
I think we have a break away civilization of feral humans who have grown to be expert survivalist. Expert enough to time their abduction of people with rain storms to cover their tracks, Who have learned expert tricks to smuggle people out from under our noses. While we meer mortals have to have campfires and semi urban comforts to camp well.

I think that there may be the possibility that some cases may involve "wild" humans who are hiding in the wilderness (maybe hiding from civilization for their own reasons kind of like this guy). That was even mentioned in some of the interviews. I just have my doubts about that being the answer in even a fraction of the cases Paulides covers, and here's why:

- I don't think a normal human being would be capable of predicting the type of weather patterns that appear with oddly "good" timing after an abduction. I get that someone who is more in tune with nature may feel the heaviness of the air before a thunderstorm or something like that, or they may be familiar with local climate enough to know it's a good time for snow or rain. The problem is that these cases don't fit into that. In many situations, the weather is completely abnormal, unexpected and even record breaking in severity. How can someone know that it's going to rain for many days or snow for days and how can they know soon enough to plan and execute a random abduction in the forest (where you aren't always going to see other people)? I'll give you that some may be opportunists but I think the idea that someone is that accurate predicting the weather and manages to pull off a flawless abduction in an unpopulated area is a bit of a stretch. And if they are that accurate they could probably make some good money as a weather forecaster.

- The other issue is: why? If someone is living in the wilderness as a way of escaping or not being a part of society, why risk giving yourself away? When someone goes missing, hundreds or more people usually come out and comb the area in SAR efforts. That seems like it would be the opposite of what you would want if you wanted to hide away in the forest.

-Part 2 of the "why?" is: what benefit is there in taking these people and why do it the way it would have to be done to produce the end result we see so often in the cases covered? A high number are small children with no valuables other than the clothes on their backs (which wouldn't fit an adult anyway). And often times the bodies of those who are found deceased appear to have no trauma and nothing stolen (or the occasional missing item, but usually nothing worth killing over). They simply died of "exposure" or dehydration. So, if someone is in the woods, they would have to not only be abducting people but trapping them somewhere where no one will find or hear them then just waiting it out until they decide to die. Again, if someone was murdering people wouldn't you just kill them and move on rather than wait days and hope to not get caught? And if they are feral, and lets say they view us as a possible meal, again the bodies usually aren't devoured or otherwise harmed. There are some cases where there is...devastating damage, but it seems like most of the time when someone is found it's fully intact (no teeth marks no "meat" removed - sorry to get a little morbid there :eek:).

The interviews on all of those programs are well worth listening to. Paulides has actually been on C2C three times (I think) discussing this. But I also highly recommend checking out the books. I was struck pretty hard when I heard the interviews (I guess it shows with my obsession here, doesn't it?) but reading the books just put it all into a whole new perspective. I definitely think things are going on, and I think at least one or two of those things may be the type of thing that would blow the general public's mind.

All that being said, I guess I should clarify: I was responding as if you meant regular people who were born into society and chose to leave and live a "wild" secluded life in the forest. I suppose you may have also meant a different group (maybe almost a different species) that may have evolved long, long ago along side us without our knowing it. And that could be leaning towards the whole bigfoot phenomenon. I'm not entirely sold on that idea yet, but I won't dismiss it as a possibility. There seems to, at times, be a supernatural aspect to some of these stories as well as others I have heard elsewhere not related to the 411 books (primarily odd occurrences involving alleged bigfoot/dogman encounters). Which is why I have a hard time seeing it as just another animal at this point.

And the similarities between the really weird cases and the questionable (read: not quite so weird, but suspicious) cases makes me think there must be some common thread. There were some events I read about in the 411 books that made me think "ya, that could have easily been another person" but when you read the others you start to wonder. For example, removal of clothing and footwear was especially prominent (meaning it looked like someone took their garments/shoes off not that they were torn off like you would see in an animal attack). Then I read one short case about a man who's body was found in a half dug hole, partially buried. Well that could have been a murder by another human being (while very violent, still what I would consider mundane). Yet his shoes were missing and, if I recall correctly, I don't remember any mention of trauma or an obvious sign of death. Which kind of makes you go back to all the other really strange cases with similar elements. It's almost like a ritual, or at the very least clearly must involve the same culprit with the same methods and motives.

If you ever get around to reading the books, I would love to hear your opinion on these cases. I found that mine evolved as I went through all three, and continues to evolve as I learn more about this and what I consider possibly related phenomena.

I always theorized that missing persons were due to cannibalism.

Also, weird fact, I can rub poison ivy all over me and my skin will not react to it. Nor, if I say rub my arm against someone who has it. Crazy!

I always theorized that missing persons were due to cannibalism.

Also, weird fact, I can rub poison ivy all over me and my skin will not react to it. Nor, if I say rub my arm against someone who has it. Crazy!

I guess some could be cannibals, but I really doubt it (or at least doubt that it's more than a few rare cases). I think cannibalism would leave more clues. And it would have to be quite a few cannibals that are wide spread (and yet working together or somehow working with similar techniques each time they abduct someone). And that wouldn't really explain why some are returned sometimes alive, usually dead with their bodies unharmed (usually no obvious trauma/injury, just "died of exposure" - not eaten or butchered in any way).

My husband is the same way. If I so much as look at the stuff I get a rash. lol

EDIT: I guess I should specify. My response is related to the cases in the Missing 411 books. I wasn't sure if you meant missing people in general or the cases referred to in this thread. I think there are numerous reasons a person can go missing in general, so I don't think I could sum that up with one or two blanket explanations.

I guess some could be cannibals, but I really doubt it (or at least doubt that it's more than a few rare cases). I think cannibalism would leave more clues. And it would have to be quite a few cannibals that are wide spread (and yet working together or somehow working with similar techniques each time they abduct someone). And that wouldn't really explain why some are returned sometimes alive, usually dead with their bodies unharmed (usually no obvious trauma/injury, just "died of exposure" - not eaten or butchered in any way).

My husband is the same way. If I so much as look at the stuff I get a rash. lol

EDIT: I guess I should specify. My response is related to the cases in the Missing 411 books. I wasn't sure if you meant missing people in general or the cases referred to in this thread. I think there are numerous reasons a person can go missing in general, so I don't think I could sum that up with one or two blanket explanations.

I just like to entertain myself with the idea that there are cannibals in America stealing my neighbors children and eating them for dinner.

I haven't read his books, but have listened to several of his interviews and have been sorely tempted to buy the books. However, on a whim I did some quick Google searches on a couple of the cases he mentioned and found that he omitted quite a lot of the evidence and in at least one case completely had it wrong. I noticed that a couple of the cases (ones mentioned in interviews since I haven't read the book) seemed to be based on stories circulating on the internet that ignored most of the evidence, which made me question if some of the cases were compiled by not very thorough Google searches instead of real research. As I mentioned, I haven't read the books and I'm still interested in doing so...I just don't want to invest in them if they're based on shoddy research. Any thoughts from folks who've read the books?

I wouldn't doubt that maybe there were some cases where there have been other facts uncovered, but I think one of Davids strongest points is his attention to detail and getting the facts right. Since I don't know the cases you are talking about I can't comment on the things you seem to have uncovered.

People can do some crazy things when they are dehydrated, tired or freezing to death. This might be the reason for some of the cases where clothing was found taken off. I don't think any logical explanation would cover all of the things found and this is what makes it so intriguing.You can't find out details without buying the books. You can also get a good picture of what has been happening for a long time simply by looking at what people say about the books in the comments sections of amazon. I'm not one to rush out and buy a book when I know I can get the info from another source for free. In this case though, I would say that David is one of the few people who has done this much research on the subject and have documented it all. So buying the book is an advantage.

One surprise for me after buying the book on East Coast disappearances was how spread out over time some of the cases are. Maybe this is why the public at large isn't so concerned because sometimes enough time goes by that prior incidents are forgotten. Some of these cases go way back to the 40s and 50s, but others are much more recent.

I haven't read his books, but have listened to several of his interviews and have been sorely tempted to buy the books. However, on a whim I did some quick Google searches on a couple of the cases he mentioned and found that he omitted quite a lot of the evidence and in at least one case completely had it wrong. I noticed that a couple of the cases (ones mentioned in interviews since I haven't read the book) seemed to be based on stories circulating on the internet that ignored most of the evidence, which made me question if some of the cases were compiled by not very thorough Google searches instead of real research. As I mentioned, I haven't read the books and I'm still interested in doing so...I just don't want to invest in them if they're based on shoddy research. Any thoughts from folks who've read the books?

I could be wrong, but I have felt pretty confident about Paulides' work (I read all four books and have heard pretty much every interview I could get my hands on). I never got a bad vibe from the guy. In his interviews, he has briefly explained how he obtained case information. Most were either from FOIA requests or highly in depth newspaper archive searches. He's also interviewed some people associated with the disappearances (like the father of one boy, Dennis Martin I think?, which was very interesting and even the father had serious concerns about what really happened and how the case was handled).

I'm curious which cases you were checking out on the web that didn't jive with what was in the books/interviews? Can you provide some source links and names? It's really hard to say because there could be biases on both sides. The internet is notorious for putting a spin on things. And, this may be unrelated, but Paulides was part of the bigfoot community before which is terrible when it comes to employing cut throat tactics and ruining credibility. Again that may not be what you were looking at, but it is something to keep in mind.

And I really don't think it is a stretch to think that the media will downplay something or put a spin on it. It's something they do every day, which is painfully obvious all over the web in politics, world events, etc.

I wouldn't doubt that maybe there were some cases where there have been other facts uncovered, but I think one of Davids strongest points is his attention to detail and getting the facts right. Since I don't know the cases you are talking about I can't comment on the things you seem to have uncovered.

I have to agree, Starise. Although the editing in the books wasn't great, the information was highly detailed. And even if you only include some information, there are situations and occurrences that I can't even begin to figure out how you can explain them away.

One surprise for me after buying the book on East Coast disappearances was how spread out over time some of the cases are. Maybe this is why the public at large isn't so concerned because sometimes enough time goes by that prior incidents are forgotten. Some of these cases go way back to the 40s and 50s, but others are much more recent.

Exactly, I think that's why it's just not talked about. It's happened over decades and continues to happen but since it's not concentrated in one area and not a large number of disappearances all at once (even though the numbers are high in some areas if someone sits down and does the math), people just don't become alarmed. For example, you will see many geographic areas that see a high number of children of the same gender within a very specific age bracket go missing in a relatively short time frame. There are definitely patterns there. Unless their loved one is among the missing, no one cares. And it's quite sad and I'm sure extremely frustrating for families who, years later, have no idea what happened to their child, father, brother, friend, etc.

I feel strongly that something is going on and someone out there has some idea that it is happening but chooses not to do anything about it. I highly recommend reading the books. The information is very intriguing and really puts perspective on the situation - far more than the interviews even begin to do.

Back